Easter Vigil Timing

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Easter Vigil Timing

Post by docmattc »

Idly reading through the newsletter of my parents' parish at the weekend, I noticed that their Easter Vigil was at 6pm.

There is no hope.
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Re: Easter Vigil Timing

Post by Gwyn »

"This is the night...," Yeah, right.
:lol:
nazard
Parish / Diocese: Clifton

Post by nazard »

I like this one myself.http://www.srcf.ucam.org/fisherhouse/events/masstimes.php

I wonder how many turned up for it. It might have been quite a lot, as Fisher House Mass is very popular these days.
blackthorn fairy
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Wellingborough Northamptonshire

Post by blackthorn fairy »

Yes - I learned yesterday that a friend of mine (C of E) had done just that in her parish. Might be OK for larks but not for owls!
contrabordun

Post by contrabordun »

Easter's so late next year that if you go to a Saturday night vigil that starts after dark there won't be any point going home if you're planning to attend a dawn service the following morning.
Paul Hodgetts
docmattc

Post by docmattc »

blackthorn fairy wrote:Yes - I learned yesterday that a friend of mine (C of E) had done just that in her parish. Might be OK for larks but not for owls!

Welcome to the forum Blackthorn Fairy! When I was a student (and for many years afterwards lurking around university) our Easter Vigil started at 10pm, ending at around 1am and followed by a party. I usually got to bed after four and, for the last few years of doing it, had to be up again for the morning Mass at the parish where I was organist. That was especially challenging on those Easters when the clocks went forward overnight.
Lakelark
Parish / Diocese: St Marie Sheffield

Post by Lakelark »

There are areas in some of our large cities where it is not entirely safe to be walking home in the hours approaching midnight, especially on the Saturday of a Bank Holiday weekend. I lived in one such parish years ago, which employed a middle-aged man to patrol the streets where parishioners' cars were parked. He lost his life trying to protect a car from a gang of thugs. Anyone who lives in a parish where there is no danger of this happening should be thankful. And if parishes like that hold their Easter Vigil in the early evening, there may be a very good reason to do so.
musicus

Post by musicus »

blackthorn fairy wrote:Yes - I learned yesterday that a friend of mine (C of E) had done just that in her parish. Might be OK for larks but not for owls!

Welcome, blackthorn fairy!

Mmm... blackthorn. Would that be the cider, now?

Back on-topic, Lakelark makes a very good point. It reminds me just how fortunate some of us are.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

Lakelark advised
...if parishes like that hold their Easter Vigil in the early evening, there may be a very good reason to do so.

That's an excellent point, and one that I hadn't considered.
Thanks Lakelark.
HallamPhil
Parish / Diocese: St Lawrence Diocese of St Petersburg

Post by HallamPhil »

Our Vigil started at 9pm and after 3 baptisms (complete with one paddling bishop), one reception and 11 confirmations we finished the liturgical celebrations at about 1215. The further celebrations continued a while longer! It was exciting. At one point the bishop urged folk to be careful since there was quite a lot of water on the floor so I responded by singing 'I saw water flowing' by Bob Hurd. I had also thought of Vidi Aquam but considered that the point might have been lost on some!
John Ainslie

Post by John Ainslie »

I appreciate the point about security on a Saturday night. There may be other practical considerations.

However, other things being equal, the Easter Vigil should be celebrated after nightfall if at all possible. The whole symbolism of the new fire and the lighting of the candle symbolising the 'light of Christ' is weakened if it is not dark.

Be forewarned! Next year, Easter is on April 24th - almost as late as it possibly can be. Sunset will be at 8.13 pm Summer Time in the south of England, 15 minutes later in the north and even later in Scotland. That means a 9 pm start in darkness.
docmattc

Post by docmattc »

HallamPhil wrote:I responded by singing 'I saw water flowing' by Bob Hurd

I persuaded my former choir to learn that for this year's sprinkling. A good piece.

John Ainslie wrote:I appreciate the point about security on a Saturday night. There may be other practical considerations.

True, but in the case I referred to I am unaware of such. At Christmas, midnight Mass is at midnight.
John Ainslie

Post by John Ainslie »

docmattc wrote:In the case I referred to I am unaware of such. At Christmas, midnight Mass is at midnight.

I was trying not to be dogmatic, docmattc! And I daresay that Christmas night is less busy for police than the average weekend.

There's also the matter of clergy shortage. What do parishes do with the Easter Vigil if they share a single priest?
lesley wright

Post by lesley wright »

So Matt says 'At Christmas, midnight Mass is at midnight.'
Well, not in my parish it isn't. The last time we had Christmas Midnight Mass at midnight we got invaded by drunks who set off the fire extinguishers. I'm afraid The First Mass of Christmas takes place at 6.30 in the wild lands south of the border. This year our Easter Vigil began at 8.00 pm, by which time it was too dark to see in our church, surrounded as it is by trees. It is more of a problem when Easter's as late as it can possibly be, though.
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

lesley wright wrote:The last time we had Christmas Midnight Mass at midnight we got invaded by drunks who set off the fire extinguishers.

With all due respect, Lesley, that's a question of logistics not principles. It reminds me of the Cathedral Dean who would not countenance a walk-in font in the reordered Cathedral because he was afraid that tramps might pee in it. What happens in that Cathedral today? A cathedral verger on duty in the building at all times when it is open, to ensure security — but no walk-in font.