Papal Visit

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

JW

Papal Visit

Post by JW »

http://www.petitiononline.com/PopeinUK/petition.html

I don't know if anyone is interested in signing this petition, which currently has some 11,000 signatures fewer than that of the National Secular Society delivered to No.10 today. The views that the NSS petition disapproves of are distorted but most Catholics are loyal to Papal teaching and this is therefore an attack on the Church at large. Incidentally, I suspect that there is a case to argue that point 6 of their petition is libellous. Pius XII's attitude to the Holocaust was clearly against - even though History may take the view that he could have spoken out more. There is no way that Richard Williamson can be considered as "rehabilitated". The Pope has made it clear that Bishop Williamson should retract his views on the Holocaust.
JW
Southern Comfort

Re: Papal Visit

Post by Southern Comfort »

I don't think either petition will make any difference. He's been invited by the government, and he's coming. The government are paying for most of it, but the faithful are still going to be asked to cough up something ─ i.e. in addition to what they will already be giving through taxpaying to subsidise the visit.

However, it's a very different animal from the 1982 visit, which was the first ever by a pope, hence all the souvenirs, etc. This one appears to be lower in key as well as briefer.

The grapevine seems pretty definite that he'll start in Scotland on Sept 16, and see the Queen, and be in Sutton Park, Birmingham, for the beatification on the 19th. Westminster Cathedral is scheduled for the 18th, and the country's Catholic youth are being encouraged (a) to come and sit on the Westminster piazza during the Mass on the 18th (they'll be excluded from the Cathedral itself ─ why on earth? :evil: ) and then stay on for an evening vigil after he's departed (again, why on earth?). What is not yet publicly known is where (or even if) the lecture will take place on the 17th.

An additional spanner in the works is that the Welsh have now woken up to the fact that he isn't planning to go to the principality and have said "Oy!" Remains to be seen whether this changes anything in the planning.

It's an interesting coincidence that the Falklands situation is building up again ─ we didn't know for sure that John Paul II would actually come until two weeks before he arrived, because of the Falklands War. Or perhaps it's not a coincidence, and the Argentinians are cyncially timing their moves to disrupt things a second time...
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

Southern Comfort wrote:......... and be in Sutton Park, Birmingham, for the beatification on the 19th.....

Oh really? :shock:

Paddy Power is already running a book on who will follow Benedict XVI.....
http://www.paddypower.com/bet/novelty-betting/current-affairs/the-next-pope

I am not a betting man.
JW

Post by JW »

presbyter wrote:Paddy Power is already running a book on who will follow Benedict XVI.....
http://www.paddypower.com/bet/novelty-betting/current-affairs/the-next-pope

I am not a betting man.

So you won't be backing Fr Dougall of Craggy Island at 1000 to 1 then!

Back OT, sure neither petition will make any difference as to whether the Pope will come, but I just wonder if we Catholics are making our presence felt in our Society - the NSS certainly are at the moment. It seems to be assumed that any right thinking person will disagree with Papal teaching on abortion, women/married priests, marriage vs. civil partnerships etc.etc. Are those who support papal teaching vociferous enough? Do we leave it to our bishops? How do we counter this aggresive secularism?
JW
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

JW wrote:Back OT, sure neither petition will make any difference as to whether the Pope will come, but I just wonder if we Catholics are making our presence felt in our Society - the NSS certainly are at the moment. It seems to be assumed that any right thinking person will disagree with Papal teaching on abortion, women/married priests, marriage vs. civil partnerships etc.etc. Are those who support papal teaching vociferous enough? Do we leave it to our bishops? How do we counter this aggresive secularism?

Sorry, JW. I should have been clearer. I said neither petition will make any difference, but I didn't say don't sign.

Southern Comfort wrote:and the country's Catholic youth are being encouraged to ... then stay on for an evening vigil after he's departed (again, why on earth?).

It appears that the vigil wouldn't even be at Westminster. Thousands of young people would be asked to go to Wembley or somewhere.....

Another snippet of info: it appears that the pope won't be helicoptered between venues, as the security people don't like it. The word is that he'll be transported by car.

I'm still amazed at how little time is being allowed to prepare for the visit, because of the absence of confirmed details. Last time, we had a full year and knew exactly what we were dealing with.
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

Southern Comfort wrote:I'm still amazed at how little time is being allowed to prepare for the visit, because of the absence of confirmed details...........

I am saying nothing! (I have nothing to say!)
festivaltrumpet

Post by festivaltrumpet »

Southern Comfort wrote:I'm still amazed at how little time is being allowed to prepare for the visit.[ ]Last time, we had a full year and knew exactly what we were dealing with.

Southern Comfort wrote:However, it's a very different animal from the 1982 visit, which was the first ever by a pope, hence all the souvenirs, etc. This one appears to be lower in key as well as briefer.

Mayhap there's the explanation.
johnquinn39
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Post by johnquinn39 »

Who gives a flying jump about any papal visit?
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

johnquinn39 wrote:Who gives a flying jump about any papal visit?

Well, if SC is correct about the venue, Sutton Golf Club I should think. They will lose a day's play.
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

I am informed that there should be an announcement in nine or ten days time.
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

presbyter wrote:I am informed that there should be an announcement in nine or ten days time.

And as regards the Beatification, it looks as if liturgy and music information is going to be posted here:

http://www.abcm.org.uk/index.html
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

The Birmingham Mail is expressing disappointment that HH Benedict XVI does not appear to be going to visit the city centre - which seems a bit odd as Newman's relics, library and study are at the Oratory he founded.
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

Newman's Study
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nazard
Parish / Diocese: Clifton

Post by nazard »

Its a while since I stood in there. It looks a lot tidier than I remember. Don't they keep it exactly as JHN left it any more?
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

Is Paddy power running a book on the hymns that will be sung? I wonder what the odds are for "Full in the panting heart........."