updated website.

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Southern Comfort

Re: updated website.

Post by Southern Comfort »

docmattc wrote:Eyes left people! You need to look for extra menu items appearing as you navigate round the new site.

There are extra sub-menus which appear under 'Composers group' on the CG page cf the homepage. One of them is 'Contact us'. That is the link to the page which gives contact info.

Thank you for this! The problem is that one does not necessarily notice what has changed down the l.h. side. On other sites, the l.h. navigation bars remain constant throughout all pages on the site or section.

May I therefore make a friendly suggestion? That the links to contact, reports, etc, be additionally included in extra paragraphs in the main material, so that they will be easily spotted by those like myself who tend to scroll straight down the page.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Southern Comfort wrote:May I therefore make a friendly suggestion? That the links to contact, reports, etc, be additionally included in extra paragraphs in the main material, so that they will be easily spotted by those like myself who tend to scroll straight down the page.
This has now been done, at least on the Composers' page - thanks to Admin for this.

The links to recent discussion topics on the right of the Home page are very useful but there's an inconsistency in the way they work: some take you to the start of the thread, others to the most recent post. The latter is preferable IMO but could the system please be made consistent, or will it sort itself out in time?
musicus

Post by musicus »

Peter wrote:...or will it sort itself out in time?

I don't think the SSG can afford self-repairing software! :D
Bring on the elves...
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
Peter

Post by Peter »

Sorry, badly expressed! I didn't think the software would be self-repairing, just that the links for newer threads seem to work OK and at the moment it's only this thread where the link takes you to the start, so as new threads are introduced with links to the latest post, older threads will drop off the list on the Home page and the problem will go away. Of course, I've now spoiled this theory by bumping this thread to the top of the list, at least temporarily!
Dot

Post by Dot »

Hang on, Peter: aren't you the one who's against trails altogether, or was that another Peter objecting to the trailing of Phil Archer's death on Radio 4 in the last few days? :) It sure sounded like you!

dot
Peter

Post by Peter »

Dot, I never mentioned trails - at least in the post above! :wink: I was referring to links and threads, to which I have no objection even if my ability at golf is even more dismal than that at needlework! :oops: On Radios 3 and 4, however, I think trails are an abomination and would scrap the lot of them, whether referring to "The Archers" or not! :evil:

Just so that we stay on topic, making sure the home page points to the latest post rather than the first is nothing to do with giving the game away about who is going to add the next post!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Peter,

after a bit of investigation, I can see that the links are correct for all the topics where the posts fit on a single screen. It is where the topic splits across more than one that the fun starts. In this case, the hyperlinks are wrongly formed. I'll see if there is a fix for that. I suspect not, but will add it as a bug for the developer to fix :)
The Management
Peter

Post by Peter »

Thanks, Admin. In that case my theory that the problem will sort itself out over time is disproved. IMHO it would make the system easier to use if the problem were fixed but if it's awkward to do so it's not the end of the world. We haven't heard if anyone prefers it the way it is!