Jesus wants me for a sunbeam

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Mithras
Parish / Diocese: St Peter Cardiff

Jesus wants me for a sunbeam

Post by Mithras »

No, seriously, he does; at least I've just found out that it is requested for a funeral on Monday at 10.00am, along with "I heard the voice of Jesus say". Any chance of a copy of both or either from anyone? PDFs will be destroyed, with great pleasure, at precisely 10.55am.

Deus in ajdutorium meum intende

M
Hare
Parish / Diocese: Angouleme Diocese, France.

Re: Jesus wants me for a sunbeam

Post by Hare »

There are 2 possible tunes for "I heard the voice of Jesus say": "Vox Dilecti", which can be found among other places in Ancient & Modern Revised, and New Standard editions. It is also sung to "Kingsfold" which is set in "CFE", Laudate etc to "O praise our great and gracious Lord". Regarding "Jesus wants me........." I do not have it in any book, but if you are happy to transcribe/play by ear, try http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/i/l/l/illbeasb.htm

Gwyn once helped me with an obscure hymn (forgotten which).......................
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

This will give you the first one: http://library.timelesstruths.org/library/music/I/Ill_Be_a_Sunbeam/Ill_Be_a_Sunbeam.pdf

The second is more of a problem, as it is sung to a number of different tunes, ranging from Kingsfold to Tallis's Third Mode Melody. It all depends what they're expecting.
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

Southern Comfort wrote:This will give you the first one: http://library.timelesstruths.org/library/music/I/Ill_Be_a_Sunbeam/Ill_Be_a_Sunbeam.pdf

Well I just had to look up Judges 5:31 after looking at the above. If the activities of assassination of an enemy and dividing the spoil (two maidens per man - now that's greedy) are characteristic of being a sunbeam, I bet they are not taught to the children.

[26] She put her hand to the tent peg
and her right hand to the workmen's mallet;
she struck Sis'era a blow,
she crushed his head,
she shattered and pierced his temple.
[27] He sank, he fell,
he lay still at her feet;
at her feet he sank, he fell;
where he sank, there he fell dead.
[28] "Out of the window she peered,
the mother of Sis'era gazed through the lattice:
`Why is his chariot so long in coming?
Why tarry the hoofbeats of his chariots?'
[29] Her wisest ladies make answer,
nay, she gives answer to herself,
[30] `Are they not finding and dividing the spoil? --
A maiden or two for every man;
spoil of dyed stuffs for Sis'era,
spoil of dyed stuffs embroidered,
two pieces of dyed work embroidered for my neck as spoil?'
[31] "So perish all thine enemies, O LORD!
But thy friends be like the sun as he rises in his might."
Mithras
Parish / Diocese: St Peter Cardiff

Post by Mithras »

Thanks folks. Next up: Jesus wants me for a Honda.

M
Last edited by Mithras on Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Southern Comfort

Hilarious! Actually, given some of the unpleasant statuary that's around at the moment, I think the whole concept is somewhat creepy.
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

Southern Comfort wrote:Hilarious! Actually, given some of the unpleasant statuary that's around at the moment, I think the whole concept is somewhat creepy.

You referring to what some of us call an icon of Our Lord of Chernobyl? :wink:
Southern Comfort

presbyter wrote:
Southern Comfort wrote:Hilarious! Actually, given some of the unpleasant statuary that's around at the moment, I think the whole concept is somewhat creepy.

You referring to what some of us call an icon of Our Lord of Chernobyl? :wink:

Actually I was thinking of some of the examples here: http://www.catholicshopper.com/products/inspirational_sport_statues.html The Safeguarding people would have a field day with these - baseball, football and golf, to name but three.
musicus

Post by musicus »

Now that Mithras' original enquiry has been dealt with, I don't see why this light-hearted thread should not meander into the realms of bad/inappropriate/dangerous(?) Catholic art. By all means carry on...
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
musicus

Post by musicus »

Southern Comfort wrote:Actually I was thinking of some of the examples here: http://www.catholicshopper.com/products/inspirational_sport_statues.html The Safeguarding people would have a field day with these - baseball, football and golf, to name but three.

If you haven't followed this link, it's worth a look. Scary.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
SOP
Parish / Diocese: Salford

Post by SOP »

Where is the Health and Safety person? The sad part is that people will be buying those statues.
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

SOP lamented,
The sad part is that people will be buying those statues.

Pretty soon the houses in the streets (at least around here) will be adorned with brightly illuminated laughing jolly Santas, Reindeer, Light shows of all descriptions. :-@ I've always wanted to have a giant illuminated nativity scene on the side of my house. Do you think I can find one? I'm sure it would be considered tacky but it might go some way to redressing a balance.
Gwyn.
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

Southern Comfort wrote:The Safeguarding people would have a field day with these - baseball, football and golf, to name but three.

Indeed! Crumbs!
Boadicea

Post by Boadicea »

musicus wrote:
Southern Comfort wrote:Actually I was thinking of some of the examples here: http://www.catholicshopper.com/products/inspirational_sport_statues.html The Safeguarding people would have a field day with these - baseball, football and golf, to name but three.

If you haven't followed this link, it's worth a look. Scary.

Definitely scary. Oh dear. I'm a bit lost for words, but already fear the vision of those images is going to stay with me!
JohnM
Parish / Diocese: Lancaster

Post by JohnM »

I've always wanted to have a giant illuminated nativity scene on the side of my house. Do you think I can find one?

I was asked to look into this the other year, but I think I'm grateful it never came to anything. However you may be interested in http://www.festive-lights.com/christmas-figures/nativity-figures or http://www.silentlights.co.uk/....

Merry Christmas

John