Music for teenage choir

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Canonico

Re: I just needed to tell someone....

Post by Canonico »

Merseysider wrote: I ended up in tears!
They loved the plainsong Agnus I threw at them in despair.
I am stlightly baffled and bewildered.

Having worked with young people for 30 years I am always and never surprised at them. They are, in the end, people who have different likes and dislikes. I have found that the greatest compliment you can give them is just to be yourself. Any attempt to 'cow tow' to what you think they might like is spotted straight away and you are deemed just another 'middle-aged trendy'. Keep up the good work Merseysider! My comments on payment can be found under the relevant heading. :wink:
contrabordun

Re: Music for teenage choir

Post by contrabordun »

Merseysider wrote:I'm talking ordinary inner-city lads at an ordinary inner-city comp – that natural boy baritone sound and mostly used to singing rock and pop in school. They need to be enthused by what they sing. So I won't be throwing Elgar's Ave Verum at them just yet.

Very wise. Sounds as though it would be far too modern for their tastes. Try Byrd's instead :wink:

Good luck, and keep us posted with progress.
sidvicius

A Fading Memory

Post by sidvicius »

Are we all so befuddled by the present that we forget our childhood likes and dislikes too easily these days? I remember well the school assemblies and masses - we all happily belted out 'Give me Joy in My Heart' and 'He's got the whole world in his Hands' while Mrs Smith bashed out the tune on a knackered upright Brinsmead - but there was no substance to those corny songs, no depth.

More so I remember the strange stuff that you almost hated singing because it made you - OK, me - feel guilty and repentant - "Jesus, Gentlest Saviour", "My Song is Love Unknown", "There is a Green Hill Far Away" - difficult stuff for little kids and no easier now we are six(ty). There is tons of new christian music hitting the books daily, but how much of it has any true worth? Come back in five hundred years and let's see if "Lord I lift your name on High" is still packing them in. But you can put a safe bet on "O Sacred Head" still featuring in "Hymns Prehistoric and Modern".

So if Merseysider really wants to rock these kids worlds it sounds like they're due for a spot of "Guide Me O thou Great Jehovah" and lets 'big it up' for Liverpool's newest 'Welsh' male voice Choir!