Sequences

Martin Foster, from the Liturgy Office, asks for your opinions on a proposed core repertoire

Moderator: Martin Foster

admin
Site Admin

Sequences

Post by admin »

The Sequences are remnants of the medieval liturgy. The first two are obligatory, the latter two optional.

• Victimae paschali laudes — Easter Sunday Christians, to the Paschal Victim
  • Veni Sancte Spiritus — Pentecost Holy Spirit, Lord of light
  • Lauda Sion Salvatorem — The Body and Blood of Christ Sing forth, O Zion, sweetly sing
  • Stabat Mater — Our Lady of Sorrows At the cross her station keeping
sidvicius

Stabat mater

Post by sidvicius »

This interesting website would suggest we are not short of compositions for the stabat mater. But - could someone please enlighten me - at what Catholic service could we use this sequence?

Of the new composers mentioned, Lalo Schifrin is more famous for his understated jazz which became synonymous with early 70s cop movies. I think there is a wide choice of emoticons I could insert here...
Sonoqui

Re: Stabat mater

Post by Sonoqui »

] But - could someone please enlighten me - at what Catholic service could we use this sequence?

Many, many years ago, our then PP announced at the start of the second Stations of the Cross of Lent that he had had enough of the 'liturgical gymnastics' that had accompanied the previous week's Stations and that "henceforth, the altar servers and I will process round the Stations and you will remain in the pews. In order to fill in the gap while I move to the next Station, you will sing one of two verses of the Stabat Mater."

We obeyed (of course) and I must say that it worked very well.
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Re: Stabat mater

Post by presbyter »

Sonoqui wrote:] But - could someone please enlighten me - at what Catholic service could we use this sequence?

The Memoria of Our Lady of Sorrows - 15th September. Lectionary Volume Two.
sidvicius

We won't sing Verses 12 - 58...

Post by sidvicius »

That corpus Christi Sequence is LONG isn't it? Does someone out there know of any music for it in its entirety? Jolly Difficult to versify without getting horribly repetitive - or would that aid its prayerful content?

Whatever, this webpage adds some interesting background to the feast day, if you've got time. I hope it is not too heretical...
Chris

Post by Chris »

A few years ago I transcribed the original Latin chants to the English Missal texts of the sequences for Easter, Pentecost and Corpus Christi. Each one has a congregational response, with the verses sung by cantor/ choir. On Easter Sunday I have done it with a segue (aka an exuberent fanfare!) straight into the Celtic Alleluia... Works rather well. For the sequences for Pentecost and Corpus Christi I concluded with the plainsong (Easter) Alleluia which works well also.

I would be happy to share these, however I'm not sure about the copyright on the text...Perhaps some one could advise.

Chris
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Re: Sequences

Post by Gwyn »

Chris posted
A few years ago I transcribed the original Latin chants to the English Missal texts of the sequences for Easter, Pentecost and Corpus Christi. Each one has a congregational response, with the verses sung by cantor/ choir. On Easter Sunday I have done it with a segue (aka an exuberent fanfare!) straight into the Celtic Alleluia... Works rather well. For the sequences for Pentecost and Corpus Christi I concluded with the plainsong (Easter) Alleluia which works well also.

I would be happy to share these, however I'm not sure about the copyright on the text...Perhaps some one could advise.

Chris

For whatever reason I didn't pick up on this thread.

That must've been quite some undertaking Chris. Did you ever publish them? If so I'd be interested to know where I can purchase a few copies.

Gwyn.