Merry Christmas in Latin - help please!

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Reginald

Merry Christmas in Latin - help please!

Post by Reginald »

Some bright spark has decided that since our school is a language college we ought to be making multi-lingual "Merry Christmas posters (not me I hasten to add!). Anyway, the scientist in question got the ball rolling by putting Merry Christmas into some kind of translation contraption and asking the linguists to correct the resulting mess.

In the midst of said mess was something purporting to be the Latin for Merry Christmas, and as the proud possessor of a GCSE in said language it was assumed that I could sort it out. Now, if it were one of those nice, safe passive translations - or better yet the prepared passages from Caesar's Gallic War I'd chance my arm...but let's be honest there are some real Latinists here and I'm sure you'd do a better job of it than I. I've seen felix dies navitatis touted as a possiblity on t'interweb. Suggestions please :D
Southern Comfort

Re: Merry Christmas in Latin - help please!

Post by Southern Comfort »

Reginald wrote:felix dies navitatis

I think your best bet for Merry Christmas would be dies nativitatis hilaris, or perhaps dies nativitatis festiva. I prefer the first of these. Some purists would frown at Church Latin nativitatis. If so, substitute Christi natalis. Dies Christi natalis hilaris has quite a good rhythm to it.
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

Risking an OFLIT condemnation for loose dynamic equivalence - why not just go for the good old....... Gaudete! Gaudete! Christus est natus ex Maria Virgine, Gaudete! ...... it's a good tune! :)
Reginald

Post by Reginald »

Thank you gentlemen. Thanks also to Presbyter for his suggestion - but the only Latin we'll be singing at school this Christmas is the version of Reno erat Rodolphus that appeared here last year, perhaps the year before - it's acquired the force of immemorial custom with my form!
FrGareth
Parish / Diocese: Sion Community for Evangelism (Brentwood)

Post by FrGareth »

On behalf of the Welsh, may I wish you all "Nadolig Llawen"? (and any school can quote me on that)

FrGareth
><>
Revd Gareth Leyshon - Priest of the Archdiocese of Cardiff (views are my own)
Personal website: http://www.garethleyshon.info
Blog: http://catholicpreacher.wordpress.com/
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

Reginald wrote: it's acquired the force of immemorial custom with my form!

Only after 30 years..... (Canon law)
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

musicus

Post by musicus »

presbyter wrote:Only after 30 years..... (Canon law)

Really? I thought 'tradition' was anything a Catholic has done twice; as in "But we've always done it like this..."
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog