Ascension Day in Scotland

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

pirate
Parish / Diocese: St Joseph Oakham Rutland

Ascension Day in Scotland

Post by pirate »

Simple query: Having unsuccessfully searched the Scottish Bishops' website for an Ordo I just want to know:

are the Ascension and Corpus Christi still celebrated on Thursdays (ie not transferred to Sunday as in England and Wales), meaning that in Scotland people still hear the readings for the Seventh Sunday of Easter?

Simple answer requested, folks; please, not a rant on Change. (I used to like them on Thursdays too!)
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Re: Ascension Day in Scotland

Post by docmattc »

According to my 2009 diary, Scottish Ascension was on the Thursday. It only lists the Sunday for Corpus Christi, but its not infallible.

Where's Manniemain when you need him?
John Ainslie

Post by John Ainslie »

The situation regarding Holy Days of Obligation in the British Isles that differ from the Roman Calendar is as follows:
- Epiphany: transferred to the Sunday between 2 and 8 January, except in Ireland
- Ascension: transferred to the Seventh Sunday of Easter, except in Scotland
- Corpus Christi: transferred to the following Sunday throughout the British Isles

In addition, SS Peter & Paul, the Assumption and All Saints, if occurring on a Saturday or Monday, are transferred to the nearest Sunday in England & Wales, but not in Scotland or Ireland.

Bring back the Synod of Whitby!
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

John Ainslie wrote:Bring back the Synod of Whitby!

Perhaps we'll have it at next year's Summer School. :roll:
SOP
Parish / Diocese: Salford

Post by SOP »

I just got my 2010 Catholic diary and May 13 is marked as + Ascension of the Lord (S) and Sunday 16th is 7th Sunday of Easter (S), + Ascension of the Lord (E,W,I).
pirate
Parish / Diocese: St Joseph Oakham Rutland

Post by pirate »

Thank you, all - much appreciated. I had a phone message about it too!
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

SOP wrote:I just got my 2010 Catholic diary and May 13 is marked as + Ascension of the Lord (S) and Sunday 16th is 7th Sunday of Easter (S), + Ascension of the Lord (E,W,I).

Just shows how much they know! :lol:
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

My understanding of this shunting about of Our Lord's feasts and solemnities is that Ascension day remains on a Thursday and the Epiphany on Jan 6th, it is the obligation that moves to a Sunday close by.

All quite bizarre. Good ol' bishops. :lol:
keitha

Post by keitha »

I don't think that is quite correct. In relevant countries, it is the feast that is being transferred, and the obligation goes with it. It is simply that the Sunday obligation and the Holy Day obligation are both fulfilled by attending mass on the relevant Sunday.

See http://www.liturgyoffice.or.uk/Calendar/Holydays.html.
Keith Ainsworth