Haugen on tour

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Haugen on tour

Post by presbyter »

NNPM have organised a Marty Haugen tour. I suppose Marty is the Marmite of Church Music - love him or hate him. But if you love him, the secretary of the NNPM will, I'm sure, send you details, nnpm_sec@yahoo.co.uk
Dot

Re: Haugen on tour

Post by Dot »

Even more like Marmite, you can love him if his music is spread thinly enough!
Boadicea

Post by Boadicea »

For anyone interested, I believe these are the dates and venues:

10 October: Exeter Cathedral. Make a Joyful Noise, A music day for all with many workshop leaders.
11 Sunday Our Lady of the Assumption, Abbey Road, Torquay. Music for the Soul.
12 Monday: An Evening with Marty Haugen, St Mary, 39 Ewenny Road, Bridgend CF31 3HS. 7.00-9.30 pm
15 Thursday: An evening of music with Marty Haugen. St Bernard’s Road, Solihull, B92 7BL, 7.30-9.30
16 Friday: An Evening with Marty Haugen L.A.C.E. Conference centre (Hope University), Croxteth Drive, Liverpool L17 1AA. 7.30pm- 9pm
17 Saturday A Day with Marty Haugen, St Mary's Parish Centre, New King Street Middlewich CW10 9EB 10.30-3.30
20 Tuesday: Gathered in the love of Christ, Bar Hill Church Centre, Hanover Close, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8TE
21 Wednesday: An Evening with Marty Haugen, St. Anselm's School Hall, Tooting 7.30 pm
24 Saturday : Guildford Cathedral: One heart one voice! A major ecumenical musical event for all, 9.00am to 4.30pm, with many workshop leaders, trade stalls, etc.

Contact stephendean@decanimusic.co.uk for more details
monty

Post by monty »

We are all entitled to our opinions and likes/dislikes. Perhaps the word 'hate' is too strong.

Personally, I like his music although there are some pieces that leave me cold. I would not dream of abusing someone if they liked the pieces I don't.

Bring on the mods.

[Indeed. Two offensive posts have been removed (as has Mithras' protest, which was left orphaned by their removal) - moderator]
Dot

Post by Dot »

Just to put the record straight, I have admiration for quite a bit of Haugen's music (eg. Shepherd me, O God, Now in this banquet), but I think a surfeit of it might alienate some people. I don't know that views on Haugen are as polarised as Presbyter suggests.

Dot
musicus

Post by musicus »

I have split the potentially interesting and useful discussion about music workshops off to a new thread.

This one has served its purpose of advertising the details of Marty Haugen's tour.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog