Special ascii characters useful to musicians & liturgists

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

monty

Re: Special ascii characters useful to musicians & liturgists

Post by monty »

In Word, 0101 followed by Alt+x - Lucinda Sans Unicode.

No idea about Mac - not a clue.
monty

Post by monty »

Go into Word, Insert, Symbols - find the symbol you want and the appropriate code is displayed toward the bottom of the box.

Tried to copy a screenshot but it will not copy. Tried to attach a document but the extension doc is not allowed.
TimSharrock

Post by TimSharrock »

Southern Comfort wrote:PS: Forgot to say that the Word thing only works if you already have a Unicode font installed on your machine (in my case, Lucida Sans Unicode). You can't change the font to anything else to see what it looks like, either.

Don't know what would happen if you had more than one Unicode font installed. Where might one find others? I don't recall ever installing the Lucida one. It either came with the machine or with some software or other.

A unicode font will not have glyphs for all the code-points (in theory I suppose it could, but there are lots of them), so you may well need different fonts if you wish to use some of the rarer code-points. (At work I would have use for a font that includes characters that require surrogates in utf-16, or 4 bytes in utf-8 ,sorry jargon escaping...)

Many modern fonts include at least some unicode, but I don't know a good way to identify them quickly. The Cambria and Calibri fonts included with Office 2007 have a reasonable selection, but not of the far-eastern languages, and on my system the Arial Unicode MS has quite a wide range. If on Windows you go to the Control Panel and select fonts, and sort by size, you are likely to find the widest range of characters in the largest fonts.
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

TimSharrock wrote:
Southern Comfort wrote:PS: Forgot to say that the Word thing only works if you already have a Unicode font installed on your machine (in my case, Lucida Sans Unicode). You can't change the font to anything else to see what it looks like, either.

Don't know what would happen if you had more than one Unicode font installed. Where might one find others? I don't recall ever installing the Lucida one. It either came with the machine or with some software or other.

A unicode font will not have glyphs for all the code-points (in theory I suppose it could, but there are lots of them), so you may well need different fonts if you wish to use some of the rarer code-points. (At work I would have use for a font that includes characters that require surrogates in utf-16, or 4 bytes in utf-8 ,sorry jargon escaping...)

Many modern fonts include at least some unicode, but I don't know a good way to identify them quickly. The Cambria and Calibri fonts included with Office 2007 have a reasonable selection, but not of the far-eastern languages, and on my system the Arial Unicode MS has quite a wide range. If on Windows you go to the Control Panel and select fonts, and sort by size, you are likely to find the widest range of characters in the largest fonts.

Once again, very useful. Thanks!

Lucida Sans Unicode is huge (27,000+KB) in comparison with Cambria, Calibri or anything else, even Arial Unicode (370+KB) which I have discovered on my computer at work; so I'm not sure that size matters..... :D

A simple Google search for free Unicode fonts turns up some very useful links.
FrGareth
Parish / Diocese: Sion Community for Evangelism (Brentwood)

Post by FrGareth »

So no-one noticed that versicle, responsory and the performing rights P were in my original cut-and-paste line in page 1?

But, as you'll have realised by elimination, I have no scruples!

FrGareth
><>
Revd Gareth Leyshon - Priest of the Archdiocese of Cardiff (views are my own)
Personal website: http://www.garethleyshon.info
Blog: http://catholicpreacher.wordpress.com/
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

Southern Comfort wrote:
presbyter wrote:So how do you know it's there? :wink:

℗ My Snow Leopard is very friendly and has shown me how. I'm glad I'm not on a PC - you all seem to be making life so difficult for yourselves.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Guys:

4 pages later, and I'm understanding less and less of what you're saying, and I still can't make a blessed umlaut appear by the methods you suggest. I think we do make our lives more difficult by having 101 routes to do the same job and adding more and more layers of sophistication, constant updates, blah blah. That's what I've always hated about computers.

Dare I ask: what does ascii stand for (in no more than a sentence please, no subordinate clauses, no acronyms)?

Dot
keitha

Post by keitha »

May the force be with you Dot - I'm almost as confused as you. American Standard Code for Information Interchange - I think. Wikipaedia has an explanation that I think I understood!
Keith Ainsworth
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

 - this could be a symbol of repentance and conversion for Windows users. ☺ I don't know what this one is though:
Last edited by presbyter on Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Post by mcb »

(That's presbyter putting the annoy back into metanoia.)
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

mcb wrote:(That's presbyter putting the annoy back into metanoia.)

Careful now - I'll be back in transliterated Armenian. (And I've now noticed one cannot type in Petrucci in this forum - hmmmmmm)
FrGareth
Parish / Diocese: Sion Community for Evangelism (Brentwood)

Post by FrGareth »

presbyter wrote:I don't know what this one is though: ‱

That would be a permyriad... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permyriad

"FrGareth has his permilles (‰) but presbyter has his percents of percents!"
><>
Revd Gareth Leyshon - Priest of the Archdiocese of Cardiff (views are my own)
Personal website: http://www.garethleyshon.info
Blog: http://catholicpreacher.wordpress.com/