How do dioceses fund music?

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

lesley wright

How do dioceses fund music?

Post by lesley wright »

Following on from the Leeds Choral Director ad, Lesley asked about other diocese, which is worthy of a new topic.- Mod

I'd be interested to know how other dioceses fund their music. Here in the balmy north east, members of the diocesan choir are being asked to pay a membership subscription because we've blown our music budget out of the window. Do other dioceses have diocesan choirs, or does the cathedral choir provide music for all occasions?
Southern Comfort

Re: How do dioceses fund music?

Post by Southern Comfort »

This is really three different questions: (a) how many dioceses have diocesan choirs? (b) do they function at diocesan liturgies or does the cathedral choir? (c) do diocesan choirs, where they exist, get any funding? Trying to answer all three at once:

Southwark's cathedral choir sings at major liturgies. There is no diocesan choir.
Westminster's cathedral choir sings for major liturgies. There is no diocesan choir.
A&B has a diocesan choir which sings at all major liturgies. It is not funded. There have been difficulties in the past between cathedral musicians and diocesan people.
Portsmouth's diocesan choir sings at all major liturgies. Some cathedral choir members belong to it. It is not funded, but the director of music is a paid diocesan employee.
Plymouth's cathedral choir sings at major liturgies, though there have been sporadic attempts to have diocesan singers too (difficult in a diocese which is 300 miles long).
Clifton's cathedral choir sings at major liturgies. There has never been a diocesan choir.
Cardiff's cathedral choir used to sing at all major liturgies (and still sings at the Chrism Mass, I believe) but a diocesan choir is easing its way in and now sings at the Rite of Election and some other major liturgies. I don't believe it is funded.
Shrewsbury's cathedral director of music includes diocesan singers in major liturgies.
Birmingham's cathedral sings for major liturgies at the cathedral. The archdiocesan choir sings at other occasions elsewhere.

That's my contribution for part of the southern swathe of the country. I hope others will fill in the gaps for Lesley. The picture down here is patchy, and there doesn't seem to be money anywhere in evidence!
HallamPhil
Parish / Diocese: St Lawrence Diocese of St Petersburg

Post by HallamPhil »

Hallam has a growing group of diocesan singers and instrumentalists who support the music at diocesan liturgies. Members of the Cathedral Choir and Music Group will also attend.
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

Southern Comfort wrote:Birmingham's cathedral sings for major liturgies at the cathedral. The archdiocesan choir sings at other occasions elsewhere.

Not quite! It's a bit more complicated than that - and diocesan singers do do some major liturgies at the cathedral.
Southern Comfort

presbyter wrote:
Southern Comfort wrote:Birmingham's cathedral sings for major liturgies at the cathedral. The archdiocesan choir sings at other occasions elsewhere.

Not quite! It's a bit more complicated than that - and diocesan singers do do some major liturgies at the cathedral.

Delighted to hear it ─ that diocesan singers are involved, not that it's a bit more complicated. I don't suppose you'd care to elaborate?
johnquinn39
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Post by johnquinn39 »

What funding is given to music & liturgy in the Birmingham diocese?
mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Post by mcb »

In Salford there's no diocesan choir, and the cathedral choir sing at the Mass of Chrism and the Rite of Election. In our diocese a 'diocesan choir' and a 'cathedral choir' would be unlikely to be pulling in opposite directions, though, and on the big occasions we don't compromise on our usual commitment to the participation of the assembly.

At the same time, we also aim to excel - the Mass of Chrism, for instance, is a high point in our liturgical year. At this year's Mass of Chrism we sang Purcell and Lassus and some plainchant in among the music of John Bell, Christopher Walker, Martin Foster and the like, so the repertoire is probably a bit more ambitious and diverse than I imagine you'd be likely to achieve with an all-comers' scratch choir. I could be doing diocesan choirs an injustice, though!

The Rite of Election has been sung by the cathedral choir for the past three years, which I'd like to think has given the occasion a lift. In times past it was in the hands of the Diocesan RE service, who were, inevitably, less well-placed to put on a big public liturgy. But here again, I hope we preserve the spirit of accessibility which ought to be a hallmark of the occasion.
Dot

Post by Dot »

The Birmingham Archdiocesan choir sings at the Cathedral for the Rite of Election, ordination of deacons, Ubi Caritas awards. Someone else is better placed to comment on funding than I; all I know is that I sometimes get a free meal! In its time, the choir has been moderately ambitious with its repertoire, which includes polyphony. Because I cannot remember what I have sung where, I won't try and reel off a list of what we've used at the Cathedral. Like Salford, there is an attempt to keep it accessible.

Dot
Southern Comfort

Dot wrote:Ubi Caritas awards.

What are they?
lesley wright

Post by lesley wright »

MCB wrote:
the repertoire is probably a bit more ambitious and diverse than I imagine you'd be likely to achieve with an all-comers' scratch choir. I could be doing diocesan choirs an injustice, though!

Well, we aren't exactly a scratch choir - we meet at least once a month, and rehearse more regularly than that in advance of anything really exciting. And although we aren't auditioned, admittance is mostly by invitation.
It's the question of funding that I'm wondering about mostly (it's not that I mind paying, honest :-@ ).
Thanks to everyone who's replied, anyhow.
Lesley
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

johnquinn39 wrote:What funding is given to music & liturgy in the Birmingham diocese?

The diocesan accounts are here http://www.birminghamdiocese.org.uk/uploads/treasurer/Financial_Newsletter2007.pdf

and you are entitled to see your parish's annual financial statement.

More than that, I suggest you write to the diocesan treasurer.
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

Southern Comfort wrote:

What are they?

It's a gong - our own version of the Bene Merenti.
Southern Comfort

presbyter wrote:
johnquinn39 wrote:What funding is given to music & liturgy in the Birmingham diocese?

The diocesan accounts are here http://www.birminghamdiocese.org.uk/uploads/treasurer/Financial_Newsletter2007.pdf

and you are entitled to see your parish's annual financial statement.

More than that, I suggest you write to the diocesan treasurer.

No detailed information at all in those 2007 accounts. Are the full accounts available online? (I think some dioceses do this), and is there are a more recent version for 2008?
Southern Comfort

presbyter wrote:
Southern Comfort wrote:

What are they?

It's a gong - our own version of the Bene Merenti.

Like a diocesan medal, then?
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

Southern Comfort wrote:........... and is there are a more recent version for 2008?
Pending

Southern Comfort wrote:Are the full accounts available online?
No

Southern Comfort wrote:Like a diocesan medal, then?
There's no "Like a" about it - it is a diocesan medal (instituted by the late +M when Rome put restrictions on the distribution of BMs).