Music for teenage choir

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Merseysider

Music for teenage choir

Post by Merseysider »

I'm just in the process of forming a youth choir for our larger church – they'll sing on Saturday evening at 6pm. School is being really supportive: the head of music has suggested eight present pupils (all boys school) and a couple of old boys who are interested in singing and who might inspire the youngsters. After that, we're hoping it will spread by word of mouth.

They'll be leading Gospel Greeting, Holy, etc with a very reluctant congregation who, even so, will appreciate their efforts.

Thing is, the congregation won't be able to keep up with a too-fast expanding repertoire so I need to think of pieces which the lads can sing on their own.

I'm talking ordinary inner-city lads at an ordinary inner-city comp – that natural boy baritone sound and mostly used to singing rock and pop in school. They need to be enthused by what they sing. So I won't be throwing Elgar's Ave Verum at them just yet.

There are one or two contemporary pieces which will work with choir only: Chris Walker's delicious "Teach Me, O Lord" for example.

Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for easily learned but fun-to-sing/slushy items which they might enjoy singing and which our reluctant congregation might enjoy hearing!
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

Last time Christopher Walker led a liturgical music dayshcool in these her parts he introduced us to "I will take the cup of salvation" by Cynthia Cummins, very singable.
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

Thank you, Gwyn.
I will seek it out.
Nick
Merseysider

More ideas

Post by Merseysider »

Thanks to everyone who sent me replies direct.
To be honest, I'll be doing things backwards to start with: finding things they will like or can sing easily, and slotting them in.
Here are the suggestions so far. All others welcomed:
• Grail Prayer – Chris Walker
• Lead me Lord – Attwood
• Pachelbel Sanctus – Robert Prizeman
• The Lord is my Shepherd – Howard Goodall (Vicar of Dibley)
• Ave Verum – Elgar
• Panis Angelicus – Franck (but the slightly jazzed up version used in "The Choir")

Will probably be going for a more rock approach – using elec piano with synth strings for some of these – we do have a good organ as well.

Am also planning on using choir version of items which will later be added to the assembly repertoire. For example, Chris Walker's Teach me, O Lord.

And another thing? What is the general concensus on robed choirs?
I'm generally against them but I think these lads might actually benefit from wearing some rather nice oatmeal albs we have going spare. Seriously think it will help their behaviour and concentration to feel as though putting on the alb means they're about to do something special and different. Other thought has been just to ask them all to wear black T-shirts so they still get that feeling of dressing up for the occasion.

Persuading them to scrub their finger nails will probably prove more difficult.

All thoughts welcome.

Merseysider.
organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

Post by organist »

How about Quigley There is a longing
Hurd As the deer
The servant king Kendrick
Farrell God has chosen me
Russbridge Hebridean Gloria
Ogden Christ has no body now but yours (RSCM)
Alan smith The Lord has done great things for us - lots of goodies in Psalmsongs

Sweatshirts with the church logo and choir on them are a good idea except in hot weather. Tshirts not a good idea as they have to be washed after every use whereas sweatshirts can be passed around. Albs are really a priestly robe and look like servers anyway. Choirs need to look different I think.
Keep up the good work :lol:
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

Thank you for suggestions – really kind of you to offer them.

Quigley's "There is a longing" is on the list anyway – but it's a not a choir item: assembly and cantors.
The Servant King – I won't comment except to say that we'd all need sickbags! (And, again, an assembly piece)

I agree with you about sweatshirts – but disagree about the laundering thereof! I wouldn't wear one twice and couldn't ask the kids to.

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply. Wish more people answered posts.
ILRush

Post by ILRush »

Have you considered putting the different options to the choir themselves? Obviously not just ask "what do you want to wear?" but present them with t-shirts, sweatshirts, robes, white shirts with v-neck jumpers and so on. I would imagine that any teenage boy willing to be in a church choir is capable of original thought and not a "Kevin-type" teenager.

Just a thought - plus I have replied so no longer need to feel guilty!
sidvicius

Boys 'n the...

Post by sidvicius »

Hoodies.
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

Over baseball cap, of course!
sidvicius

Why Not ?

Post by sidvicius »

Merseysider

I just needed to tell someone....

Post by Merseysider »

Just had my first proper rehearsal with the the eight lads who are forming half of my new teenage choir. I ended up in tears!

They hated "Sing of the Lord's Goodness", loathed the trad and folksy hymns I tried and then....

They loved the plainsong Agnus I threw at them in despair.

Also took along Bob Prizeman's Sanctus based on Pachelbel canon – three parts, Latin.... They wouldn't stop singing it. Literally had to throw them out.

Tried a couple of them singing up a scale to see where they could get to. One little lad (rough, tough, shaved head, looked as though he could do with a good scrub...) hit a g above the stave. I yelled: "You've just hit a top G!". He looked at me quite fearfully: "Is that bad, Sir?"

That's when I dissolved into tears.

And then, as they left, Paul (quite a big lad) looked back and said: "I wasn't going to come today – glad I did now – love that plainsong..."

I am stlightly baffled and bewildered.

And I just needed to tell someone....
Tsume Tsuyu

Post by Tsume Tsuyu »

Thanks for sharing this, Merseysider. It sounds like it was a quite an emotional session.

If there's one thing I've learnt, it's to expect the unexpected, and that there's nowt as strange as folk - and before you all start posting like fury, maths was never my strong point!

It sounds as though you have the makings of a fine group there. You, and they, are in my prayers.

TT
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

I've often felt that the sort of music that we presume our young people like is often well wide of the mark. You've just proved it.

Thanks Merseysider. I wish I had the bottle to do what you're doing.
SOP
Parish / Diocese: Salford

Post by SOP »

Well done Merseysider. I bet they come back next time and will be able to rattle off some of the plainchant!
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

Gwyn wrote:I wish I had the bottle to do what you're doing.
But I'm not sure I do have the bottle – and I'm not sure where we'll end up and/or what we'll achieve.

Also see my new thread: Payment? It links.