SSG Summer School

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

musicus

SSG Summer School

Post by musicus »

I know I've already posted an announcement about this, but for the benefit of newcomers to the forum, let me encourage you to consider coming to the SSG's Summer School this July. You will find full details at http://www.ssg.org.uk/summerschool2004.htm

Many of our regular posters will be there, so why not come and meet us in the flesh?

M
Last edited by musicus on Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
Tsume Tsuyu

Post by Tsume Tsuyu »

As a veteran of two (but it seems like many more) SSG Summer Schools, I commend them to others. If you are interested in liturgy and music then you will find Summer School a supportive, encouraging environment. The workshops are useful - those that I have attended have been excellent - and the lectures are thought-provoking. The various activities during the day generate lots of healthy discussion in the bar of an evening.

Aside from the serious issues, there is a wonderful social aspect. There is a concert, at which anyone is welcome to do a party piece, funny or straight. There are always lots of willing accompanists or stooges (or whatever else your particular 'act' requires) on hand. Then there's the quiz (that I guarantee will have you rolling about with laughter) and generally there is just a great spirit of camaraderie, with chats and discussions continuing deep into the night.

There is something about coming together with like-minded people and the daily liturgies are really quite special. I always return to my parish refreshed, and with renewed vigour for my various ministries.

Finally, wouldn't it be interesting (for those that wanted to) to "come out" to other forum users? Judging by the threads we've had so far, sticking us all in a room together would make for some really lively discussions! :D

TT
musicus

Help for students, the unwaged, and the less well-off

Post by musicus »

If there are any students, unwaged or just plain broke people reading this and thinking that Summer School sounds fun but costly, let me mention that the SSG has a fund - the McElligott Fund - which can help. Send me a private message if you would like to know more in confidence.

Musicus
musicus

Update: 20 June 2004

Post by musicus »

This year's keynote speakers are:

Abbot Alan Rees OSB ("Word")
Fr Aidan Rossiter CJ ("Sacrament")
Andy Raine ("Mission")

Fr Allen Morris (Liturgy Office) will introduce the Summer School.

You can download an information sheet and booking form at http://www.ssg.org.uk/summerschool2004.htm

Financial help is available to students, the unwaged, and others in need.

Why not get your parish to sponsor you?

Musicus
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Re: SSG Summer School

Post by presbyter »

musicus wrote: let me encourage you to consider coming to the SSG's Summer School this July.

OK - you've persuaded me - I'll come - but you ain't going to see me "in the flesh" - not a pretty sight - I retain the right to modesty and ample swimming trunks.
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

SSG Summer School 2004

.......we will reflect upon and respond to Saint Luke s account of the events on the road to Emmaus.......

.......and, later that same day, the 75th Anniversary Dinner.

An artist's impression of what may be on the menu?

http://www.christusrex.org/www2/art/images/carav16.jpg
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

Reminds me of the 1981 Summer School...
On July 29th we were studying funeral rites...
and took a break to watch the wedding of Charles and Diana...

Was that the same year the final evening liturgy was interrupted by a thunderstorm and power cut?
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

It’s Not All Work… We play too................ a quiz evening (Tuesday) hosted by the incomparable Paul Moynihan..........

Ah! Don't tell me - another session of "I'm sorry I haven't a pew" with the late arrivals at the Liturgists' Ball? Oh groan - are we in for "Please welcome to the ball Mr and Mrs Flect and their daughter Jenny"?
Please - not "Mrs and Mrs Inexcelsis and their daughter Gloria" again ..................

Oh no - it gets worse - do you remember "Please welcome the newly-weds Mr and Mrs Sultet ... and their yet- to-be conceived first offspring 'Egg' " ? :oops:

BTW - shouldn't that now be SIR Paul Moynihan? :wink:
Benevenio

Post by Benevenio »

Perhaps, then, it should be better this year to have invitees to the Papal Awards' ball...

Anyway, what's wrong with inviting Mr and Mrs Tas and their ever-so-charitable daughter, U.B. Cari ?
Benevenio.
musicus

Post by musicus »

(Assuming a stern voice)
Now then, now then, that's quite enough of that.

Anyway, it's been a couple of years or so since we had a Late Arrivals round.

Hugh (Manaevitae)
Last edited by musicus on Sun Jun 27, 2004 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tsume Tsuyu

Post by Tsume Tsuyu »

Oh, but I love the late arrivals! You've forgotten the beautifully spoken Mr. and Mrs. Diction and their lad Benny. And, arriving all by herself, Miss A. De Angelis!

Presbyter wrote:BTW - shouldn't that now be SIR Paul Moynihan?

It is Sir Paul, isn't it? What a come down - the SSG Summer School quiz after centre stage at Glastonbury! Oops! Sorry. Wrong Paul! :D

Sorry, Musicus. Couldn't resist. But no more, I promise!

TT
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

Anyone else - apart from me - been tempted to book?
Tsume Tsuyu

Post by Tsume Tsuyu »

I've booked! I've had to juggle family holidays, children's birthday parties and work commitments (not to mention finding the dosh!), but I was determined to come and I've managed it. :)

TT
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

Well that's me and TT - and Musicus I guess - any more?
musicus

Me too

Post by musicus »

presbyter wrote:Well that's me and TT - and Musicus I guess - any more?

Wouldn't miss it for anything! :wink:

Click this link if you would like to know more: Download latest information and a booking form

Musicus