SSG Summer School

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

musicus

Re: virtual Summer School

Post by musicus »

ILRush wrote:Yay! Good idea. But it might be a bit of a give away if there was only one PC/laptop!

Especially if Our Correspondent kept having to slip away to an Internet Cafe in Cheltenham.
ILRush

Re: virtual Summer School

Post by ILRush »

musicus wrote:
ILRush wrote:Yay! Good idea. But it might be a bit of a give away if there was only one PC/laptop!

Especially if Our Correspondent kept having to slip away to an Internet Cafe in Cheltenham.

Or, it could be really interesting if someone forgot to log out. Tee hee.
pirate
Parish / Diocese: St Joseph Oakham Rutland

Post by pirate »

If Our Correspondent was spending his/her time in an Internet café in Cheltenham, he/she wouldn't be spending much time at Summer School in Chelmsford, I'm thinking... Musicus, love, has it been a busy week? :wink:

pirate
musicus

Post by musicus »

pirate wrote:If Our Correspondent was spending his/her time in an Internet café in Cheltenham, he/she wouldn't be spending much time at Summer School in Chelmsford, I'm thinking... Musicus, love, has it been a busy week? :wink:

Cheltenham, Chelmsford - all the same to me!

I am a bear of little brain.

M
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

Any more details of what's going to happen at New Hall then? Celebrating the Road to Emmaus could/might mean we are going for a seven mile walk listening to the Scriptures and then ending up for supper in a pub!!!
Tsume Tsuyu

Post by Tsume Tsuyu »

Sounds good to me! Just as long as Musicus has nothing to do with it, else the '7 mile' walk might finish in Cheltenham!! :wink:

It would be good to have a bit of advance notice as to what else might be going on, unless the committee is planning a week of surprises!

TT
red

Post by red »

presbyter wrote:Any more details of what's going to happen at New Hall then? Celebrating the Road to Emmaus could/might mean we are going for a seven mile walk listening to the Scriptures and then ending up for supper in a pub!!!

Why walk seven miles to a pub when there's an amazingly well run bar onsite? :D
musicus

The best bar none!

Post by musicus »

red wrote:Why walk seven miles to a pub when there's an amazingly well run bar onsite? :D

Welcome to the forum, red!

It's great to have a real celebrity join us. Canonico was talking only the other day about small furry animals.

(And you're quite right about the bar)

Musicus
musicus

Post by musicus »

Christopher Walker's workshop at Summer School is entitled A Choir's Journey of Faith

Chris describes it as follows:

In my workshop I shall be addressing the spiritual dimension and impact of music in the liturgy. In my experience the emotional and spiritual commitment of singers and players can be of more importance than the actual choice and (perfect) execution of music. Thus I shall be exploring ways of preparing music in choir practices: getting them on board spiritually before all the technical stuff gets in the way. This also comes from their own spiritual lives, and I shall be addressing that too.

Click this link if you would like to know more: Download information sheet and a booking form
Tsume Tsuyu

Latest info re. workshops

Post by Tsume Tsuyu »

I've just had the latest information about workshops from the SSG. Now I'm all undecided again because Chris Walker's workshop - A Choir's Journey of Faith - sounds really interesting.

Too much choice!!!! :)

TT
presbyter

Re: Latest info re. workshops

Post by presbyter »

Tsume Tsuyu wrote:I've just had the latest information about workshops from the SSG.

So have I. Should that be - "in the Chapel / swimming optional" or "in the Chapel - swimming optional"? I'm getting confused, I think.

Any chance of a preview as to how we might be celebrating the Road to Emmaus then, or is it all a surprise? I don't think I can produce a 'capped shawm' for the instrumental workshop (!) ...... and I'm too scared to let Fr Rossiter point out my bad habits. Perhaps I'll just let that nice Miss Christmas show me where middle D is on an organ pedalboard and find out more of my sensitivity to signs and symbols.
Tsume Tsuyu

Post by Tsume Tsuyu »

I've found you a capped shaun so you can join the instrumentalists: capped shaun

Whoops! Just re-read your message; that was a capped shawm you wanted! :?

TT
musicus

Post by musicus »

Tsume Tsuyu wrote:I've found you a capped shaun so you can join the instrumentalists: capped shaun

LOL !

Google's image library is an under-rated resource. :lol:

M
musicus

Summer School Workshops (long)

Post by musicus »

Here is the full information about the Summer School workshops:

A Choir's Journey of Faith (Christopher Walker)
In my workshop I shall be addressing the spiritual dimension and impact of music in the liturgy. In my experience the emotional and spiritual commitment of singers and players can be of more importance than the actual choice and (perfect) execution of music. Thus I shall be exploring ways of preparing music in choir practices: getting them on board spiritually before all the technical stuff gets in the way. This also comes from their own spiritual lives, and I shall be addressing that too.

Chant (Abbot Alan Rees OSB)
My workshop would be of interest to people who are keen to keep alive the tradition of Gregorian chant in the liturgy; it would also interest those who like music inspired by the Gregorian modes – we can explore the use of the modes in setting new texts for the liturgy.
We will sing Gregorian chant, learn to read the chant, learn something about modality, and, for those who are interested, compose modal melodies. It would be useful to know how to read four-line music but that is something you can learn during the workshop - it is easy enough for those who read five-line music.

In this workshop you will learn several modal settings of the Mass, how to sing the Liturgy of the Hours using modal chants and hymns, how to use simple Latin chants in the English liturgy, and a little of the history of it all.

Choral Singing for Beginners (Bill Tamblyn)
In response to popular demand, this workshop is for those of you who would like to sing in parts but have never before dared. Using a wide range of simple and attractive pieces from around the world, You will soon be singing with confidence and enjoyment. You don’t have to be a good sight-reader, and all voices – high and low, male and female – will be catered for. Come along and have a go!

Dance and Movement (Andy Raine)
My workshop would be of interest to people who are moderately mobile (or any advance on this!). We will be dancing and experiencing various things in consequence.

Bring clothes you are able to move in without being restricted, and be prepared to remove your socks and shoes. No previous dance experience is necessary, just willingness and open-heartedness.

In this workshop you will learn that you are capable of more than you thought and may get to know yourself better and happen upon some encounters with God and other people on the way!

Instrumentalists (Paul Wellicome)
The instrumentalists’ workshop will look at how to arrange music effectively for ensemble playing. You don't have to play an instrument to come along – you might be the Music Director faced with an array of Bb clarinets and guitars! It would help if there were some instruments too, as we will be arranging for what we have (which, last year, included capped shawm, ukelele, viola and bass guitar). You don't need to be experienced or know a lot of music theory. This workshop starts from the basics, and you will learn how to approach writing descants, transposing, part-work and re-harmonising pieces for use in the liturgy.

Organists (Catherine Christmas)
My workshop will offer practical help and advice, tailored to your needs, especially if you are a pianist or ‘reluctant’ organist. The focus will be on organists enabling congregations to sing, rather than on voluntaries. Topics will include psalm, hymn and service music accompaniment; playing guitar and piano accompaniments on the organ; and registration. Please bring along any material you would like to work on.

Presiding (Fr Aidan Rossiter CJ)
My workshop will be of interest primarily to deacons and priests who preside at liturgy. It may also help those lay people who are called upon to lead prayer and worship, or anyone who is interested in the thorny question of good presiding.

We will explore the principles of good liturgical presiding in the spirit of the Paul VI missal. We will reflect on what it means to be in persona Christi et ecclesiae in the rites of Vatican II. We will do practical exercises, discuss, reflect, critique, read up - and if we can get the technology working - watch videos of our presiding.

To benefit from my workshop you should join in! Some acquaintance with the General Instruction of the Roman Missal might help, but is not essential. A sense of humour and honesty are the only real entry requirements for the workshop.

You will learn how to develop your own style of effective presiding, hopefully iron out any bad habits that may have crept in and avoid any new ones.

Schola (Paul Inwood)
The Schola is the small choir that supports the singing of the assembly during the liturgies. This year, the Schola is being run as a workshop, to allow for plenty of rehearsal time – you make it one of your workshop choices. However, unlike other workshops, membership of this one is at the discretion of the Director of Music. To be considered, you should be used to singing in a choir in parts, and be able to hold your own line; be able to sight-read (but if you can pick things up on just one hearing that could work too); be able to switch off your vibrato if you're a trained solo singer (but still make a nice sound) in order to blend with everyone else.

Signs and Symbols (Ann Blackett Moynihan)
This workshop will be of interest to people who are interested in how liturgy 'works'. There will necessarily be some 'head stuff' – input from the leader and time to discuss and reflect on participants' own experience – but we will also be exploring some of the non-verbal elements – the assembly, symbols, movement, environment, material things used in liturgy – in practical ways and, when possible, incorporate them in the liturgies of the Summer School itself.

This is not a banner-making workshop! But it might, say, ask about what banners are for, when and why (or whether) they might be used... and then, perhaps, bring them into the liturgy.

It will help you if you are responsible for planning worship, although it won't give you pages of ideas to take away. It will provide you with a grounding in what the Church says about sign and symbol, and in what non-verbal elements say about the liturgy in the life of the Church. It will, I hope, open your eyes and ears to some of the things you might at present take for granted.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click this link if you would like to know more: Download information sheet and a booking form

Musicus
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

Pray, do tell. Are we expected to arrive in a state of confusion, desolation, misery?

"They stopped ......... their faces downcast" .... Luke 24:17