SSG Summer School

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Post by mcb »

presbyter wrote:Well that's me and TT - and Musicus I guess - any more?

I'll be there.

M.
Benevenio

Post by Benevenio »

Me too!
Benevenio.
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

Would love to but can't afford to lose a week's income right now.
Say one for me.
Ros Wood
Parish / Diocese: Christ the King Chingford - Brentwood Diocese

Post by Ros Wood »

Would love to come but I'll have just returned from a Lourdes Pilgrimage and will be a) exhausted and b) wanted back at work.
Tsume Tsuyu

Liturgical Dance

Post by Tsume Tsuyu »

Does anyone have experience of liturgical dance?

This is one of the workshops on offer and I am toying with the idea of leaving my comfort zone and having a go. It would be nice to hear from others who have tried it - give me an idea of what I might be letting myself in for!

TT
Benevenio

Post by Benevenio »

I've done a couple of dance workshops with SSG summer schools - one with Andy Raine at Ushaw and one with Monica (McArdle?) at Liverpool Hope. It isn't my comfort zone either! I have the proverbial two left feet... and they're both flat at that! But, armed with a sense of rhythm and the abililty to count as far as four (sometimes even doing that twice to make eight), I did manage to enjoy myself. It is not formal dance so much as movement to music, expressing texts through non-verbal communication. The beauty of doing it at a summer school is that no-one is critical, and no-one is going to rib you for ages, unlike the potential in the parish for ridicule, and if you don't like it, you need never do it again. Andy is a good teacher, bringing a lot of humour together with much encouragement.

One word of warning - enthused by having danced the part of Aidan in the pouring rain on Holy Island, I returned home. When the PP said that he was too old and stiff to kneel down for the Mandatum one Holy Thursday, I suggested that 4 of us danced to Michael Card's Basin and Towel to illustrate that moment of that liturgy instead of having nothing - St John tells us "Do this in memory of me" just as clearly as the other Gospel writers pass on Jesus's instructions in their accounts of the institution of the Eucharist. I was told in no uncertain terms that there were some things that gentlemen of a certain age shouldn't undertake... and dancing was one of them. :lol:
Benevenio.
Dory

Summer School + Liturgical Dance

Post by Dory »

I've "lurked" for long enough!

I’m on the Summer School attendance list too, and would recommend the experience to anyone still considering. Come and enjoy New Hall's lovely grounds, friendly and interesting company, good food, a very well-stocked bar, a bookshop ... and that's without mentioning the liturgies, talks, workshops and ace concert! And only 3 weeks away …

As for Liturgical Dance – I’m no dancer either but at a previous Summer School, not being quite daring enough to sign up for the full workshop (who knows what you might have to do … ), I did venture to a fringe event, led by Andy Raine. It was different and quite outside my comfort zone, but once over the initial uncertainty, I enjoyed the experience and hope to see what ‘s on offer this year too.

I’ve also benefitted with a more gentle introduction to this particular ministry. From yet another Summer School, people learnt, and brought back to the parish, a liturgical dance for Christ As A Light. It has been used with great success, imho, with our first communion children – and we adults like it too.

Be encouraged to give it a go.
Tsume Tsuyu

Post by Tsume Tsuyu »

Welcome to the forum, Dory! And thanks for the encouragement.

I'm now leaning towards liturgical dance. All I need to do now is decide which other workshop to do. It will be a toss up between chant (I did the chant workshop last year as a complete novice and it was a wonderful experience) or the singing in parts one. I usually sing sop. because my sight singing has never been very good and it's easier to sing the tune! I'd like to try alto, which I think is more my range but, if I go for the dance and the chant, there is no room for the part singing workshop.

Has anyone sung chant with Alan Rees before? Was it good?

I hate making decisions!!!!!

TT
contrabordun

Post by contrabordun »

I'd love to come, and may be able to next year, but this time it's not possible. Good luck - hope to hear all about it on the Forum!
cb
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

Tsume Tsuyu wrote:Has anyone sung chant with Alan Rees before?
TT

Is this just going to be a workshop for those who want a bit of nostalgia and can remember some of the people in those photos of other summer schools in the current magazine - or are we going to sing/pray some chant in the liturgy?
Tsume Tsuyu

Post by Tsume Tsuyu »

Last year, we were given some history and quite a lot of explanation as to how to read the square notes and the various 'squiggles' (not very technical, I know) that accompany them. We then worked on one piece which we sang and prayed during Evening Prayer (I think) on one of the days.

I found the whole experience very prayerful. Fr. O'Keefe suggested that one should begin singing chant as though joining in with something that is going on continually; you just join in, quietly and prayerfully, for a short time and then leave, but the chant goes on without you.

TT
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

T.T. asked:
Has anyone sung chant with Alan Rees before? Was it good?

Yes, a lovely, gentle yet confident lead. I'm sure that you'll enjoy and derive much sustenance from Abbot Alan's sessions.
Tsume Tsuyu

Post by Tsume Tsuyu »

Thank for this, Gwyn. I'm decided on 'chant' now. Sustenance is definitely what I need.

In another thread, Canonico wrote:Welcome Vox. Judging by your avatar, it may not be what Musicus calls, 'your take on things', but rather your 'take off' on things that we will get. How would you like to assist at a liturgical dance workshop at a certain Summer School?

I'm still undecided about liturgical dance, but this might have persuaded me! Sadly, Vox has replied that our Summers are too cold :cry: :wink: !!!

TT
pirate
Parish / Diocese: St Joseph Oakham Rutland

Post by pirate »

I too have done Liturgical Dance with Andy Raine, and for me the best thing is that the prayer doesn't accompany the the dance, the prayer is the dance. Or the dance is the prayer. Whatever. Anyway, for me it's not a spectator sport, with some people dancing beautifully and others watching thinking, oh, how nice. It's what happens when the liturgy/music gets so far into you that a vocal response is no longer enough and you just have to move...

So far do I believe this that I once offered a 'prayer through dance' workshop for some retired Sisters and anyone else who was interested, sharing some of the dances I've picked up on my journey (with appropriate acknowledgment, naturally!), and although no-one wanted to break out and dance at Mass afterwards, it did go well, and caused people to reflect on prayer. I'd say it 'feeds the soul' just as much as the chant does... but you choose for yourself! 8)

pirate
Tsume Tsuyu

Post by Tsume Tsuyu »

Thanks, Pirate. Your thoughts are very helpful. It is useful to hear what others think since, often, the workshop title gives little away. All the feedback has been really positive and encouraging. I'll let you know how I get on!

TT