Agnus Dei...or not!

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Psalm Project

Agnus Dei...or not!

Post by Psalm Project »

At I type, it is drizzling down outside my window... Oh summer, where did you go!
Choir was back today after our 'summer' recess.
With all of the porky flu threads recently, I won't bore with the details... however, of late, our little quiet moment of reflection on pax has disappeared - well, at least the gap where the handshake usually fell!... Today, we had rehearsed an Agnus Dei before mass - a setting that takes a little effort to bring off. Just as my finger was about to push the incipit note for the cantor, our priest launched into the 'Lamb of God' catching everyone on the hop... Whoa! what the hell happened there (that was the corporate expression on my choir members' faces)
It was a genuine omission of course... just goes to show you - you need to be on your tippy-toes all the time!
Dot

Re: Agnus Dei...or not!

Post by Dot »

It's happened to me loads, usually with the Memorial Acclamation.
Conversely, we've also had the Psalm reader approaching the microphone, to be told unceremoniously that "the psalm will be sung"

Awaiting the collective clicking of tongues :shock:

Dot
Mithras
Parish / Diocese: St Peter Cardiff

Post by Mithras »

The easiest thing surely ia to supply priest/servers/readers &c with a running order showing exactly what is to be sung (though believe me that doesn't always work!).

M
Psalm Project

Post by Psalm Project »

Our lists are notified in writing in our sacristy a full month in advance (on the notice board in front of the vesting area) - We always sing the Agnus Dei but in recent times - over the summer - and with the choir in recess, it has been easy to automatically slip into the Agnus Dei... that's what happened this weekend. Choir was there all primed to break forth into song - then we all had to collectively slam on the brakes! It was like a liturgical whiplash injury! :lol:
monty

Post by monty »

Oh things like that have always happened. Way, way back in the old days I was in a choir where it would be a race between the priest and the choir as to who could start things off. That particular priest did not like singing and would try and say everything so the choir and the organist would just have to concentrate and beating the priest!! Needless to say, I used to attend another Mass in order to fulfil my Sunday obligation. It was both funny and irritating.