Performance Anxieties - What Are Yours?

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Benevenio

Keeping your nerve

Post by Benevenio »

Have you come across Keeping Your Nerve by Kate Jones? It's a Faber Music publication.

Amazon's site has a review:
5 out of 5 stars No Better Guide Exists!

This small book is an absolute must for performers of all ages, abilities and instruments. The information given is informed and easily accessible. Performance is a risk, there is no doubt about that; there is no safety net to catch you if you fall and let's face it the chance of that is increased as a result of nerves and their effects. Nerves during performance are incredibly common and this book provides excellent advice and support for any performer. The content of the book gives advice not only directly to performers, but also to those responsible for teaching music and parental guidence for those who wish to help their child through what can be a difficult event. The experience of performing can be extremely daunting and the more help available the better. After years of trying (and failing) to cope with performance nerves I have finally found the answers in this book. A thoroughly fantastic guide to the causes of, and how to deal with, the effects of nerves, both mental and physical. If you buy one book only - make sure it's this one!

So there you go.

Amazon says it will take ages to get the book and there's a search fee too. Huh! Save yourself the money!
ABEBooks claim to be able to get it from Blackwells for just £3 plus p&p.
Benevenio.
organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

Post by organist »

I don't get nervous - singing opera on stage cured that! But I did find a recent recording session difficult. I just couldn't play all the notes right and I speeded up the tempo because I was anxious. I am used to covering up mistakes but of course recordings show everything!