Swine flu

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

Swine flu

Post by organist »

Just wondering how parishes are responding to swine flu? C of E have said no shared chalice and no contact at the Peace but still serving up coffee afterwards. Ministers to use a hand cleaning gel.
I wonder if all door handles are being cleaned as often as they should be?
Catholic repsonse seems more patchy? Where will it all end?
musicus

Re: Swine flu

Post by musicus »

Thanks, organist; this is an interesting question. There has been no mention at all of any such practical measures from my PP, or from any other PP's that I have spoken with - and this in the West Midlands, which is something of a hot-spot. I am not aware, either, of any diocesan advice (there's a surprise!).
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

Hallam have advised that communion in the hand presents a lesser risk than on the tongue but the way one receives is up to the communicant. We have been told that receiving from a metal chalice presents negligible risk. The sign of peace has become non-contact.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

musicus,

Birmingham have issued guidelines, much along the lines of Hallam - Communion will be only the host and only communicated int he hand; no shaking hands at sign of peace. Our PP said that he was not implementing it until the 'flu became a problem... why not leave it up to the individual to decide what the risk is and deal with it accordingly?

Tom Lehrer had something to say about it all.
Paul
Life is a ball: learn to bounce.
musicus

Post by musicus »

PaulW wrote:Birmingham have issued guidelines...

Fair enough. All it now needs is for every PP to tell their people!
blog
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

Liverpool has issued guidelines and then left it to the individual to make their own decision.

Friends visiting the area on Sunday – won't say exactly where – were horrified to see the celebrant use a hand wash (which had been hidden behind one of the altar candles) before picking up the ciborium. Although it could be said that he was either setting an example or assuring the assembly that he was taking reasonable precautions.
RobH

Post by RobH »

No guidelines have been issued in the Diocese of East Anglia, though I heard that some priests have removed or emptied the Holy water stoups. I'm told that brass door handles do not carry infection for more than a few minutes - don't know whether this is true.
organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

Post by organist »

That's definitely not correct about door handles! See the government advice.
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

Plymouth, Portsmouth and Brentwood have all issued guidance. My own feeling is that there is a lot of over-reaction going on. The best thing to do is for us all to get it now and build up some natural immunity for when it comes back more virulently in the autumn (if what they predict is correct ─ this strain has not yet mutated and shows no signs of doing so). Obviously some vulnerable people may die, but it seems that not nearly as many people are dying from this particular strain of flu as are dying from other strains ─ and yet we're becoming hysterical about it. Some of those who were trumpeted as having died of Swine Flu were subsequently found to have died of others things and just happened to have Swine Flu at the time. The whole thing is a media-driven frenzy (as usual).
dunstan

Post by dunstan »

I get the feeling that in this and other spheres the approach is:

a) Something must be done
b) This is something
c) Therefore, this must be done

For those of my generation, this can be summarised as "DO something, Mutley".
It's not a generation gap, it's a taste gap.
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

Must admit that I sort of fell for the hype. Have been feeling under the weather for the last week or so (fortunately I'm on leave) with aching limbs, temperature, bad chest etc. So, this morning I checked my symptoms on the Government's multi-choice self-diagnosis website. BTW, discovered that I don't have swine flu, although I should, apparently, drink plenty of fluids and take over-the-counter remedies. And, although I still feel a tad grim and won't be going anywhere for a couple of days, somehow I feel better.

But while we're taking all these precautions about communion and door handles, what's the point if it's carried around in the air following coughs and sneezes? Should we be simply locking our church doors and holding outdoor services as in plague times?

I mightn't have swine flu but whatever I have isn't pleasant and I certainly won't be visiting the various octogenarians in the family. So what should I do on Sunday? Do I have a duty to stay away?
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

I keep replying to this thread but my posts disappear?
It is a good job we are not facing
malaria
tb
Leprosy
HIV
flood, fire, drought, famine, war,
like most of the world's population because we just would not cope.

I am sorry Nick is unwell. And I mean no disrespect to anyone who has the flu. I think I might have had it too. I have had contact with people who had the flu.
It is just that we are so priveledged here, we have clean water to wash our hands in, we have access to doctors and hospitals.
I don't know what all the fuss is about.
uh oh!
dunstan

Post by dunstan »

Nick Baty wrote:I mightn't have swine flu but whatever I have isn't pleasant and I certainly won't be visiting the various octogenarians in the family. So what should I do on Sunday? Do I have a duty to stay away?

If you are still infectious, yes.
It's not a generation gap, it's a taste gap.
monty

Post by monty »

But how do you know whether you are infectious?
musicus

Post by musicus »

oopsorganist wrote:I keep replying to this thread but my posts disappear?

I don't think we've been deleting them, oops, so perhaps its a glitch. Anyway, this one got though. PM me or admin if it keeps happening.
blog