Mass of Creation - Compatibility of different versions?

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Mancunian

Mass of Creation - Compatibility of different versions?

Post by Mancunian »

This may seem an odd request, but does anyone know whether it is possible (and if so to what extent) to mix the different versions of Marty Haugen's Mass of Creation?

We have both a traditional choir and a music group, whose repertoires tend not to overlap much. We have a visiting dignitary in mid-August (when quite a few members of both groups will be away on holiday) and I've been asked to have Mass using both choir and music group. We'll have at least keyboard, guitar, a couple of flutes and SATB.

I thought of using the Mass of Creation, as the Music Group have done it before, it has SATB parts for the choir and (I thought) suitable instrumental parts.

However, I'm now wondering whether it is possible to mix the keyboard/guitar/woodwind parts (which seem to come with unison or two equal voices version) with the SATB parts.

GIA's site indicates that the unsion or two voice vocal parts can be used with the four part brass parts (which seem to be associated with the SATB version) provided that the woodwind parts are not used, but doesn't mention the keyboard/guitar /woodwind/SATB permutation.

Does anyone happen to know if the keybaord/guitar/2 woodwinds parts can be used with the SATB vocal parts? I don't want to commit myself to ordering parts if the permutation I need won't work. I've got the 'full score' but it doesn't show the woodwind parts.

Thanks for your help.

Mancunian
Mancunian

Re: Mass of Creation - Compatibility of different versions?

Post by Mancunian »

The problem is now solved. Decani got the 2 part vocal/guitar/keyboard score to me very quickly, and the general introduction to this confirms that 'The woodwind parts published in this book may be used in place of the brass parts with the full SATB version of the Mass'

So instead of worrying about a brass quartet, all I have to worry about now is whether we wil have two flutes on the day. :)

Mancunian
Southern Comfort

Re: Mass of Creation - Compatibility of different versions?

Post by Southern Comfort »

Wait till you start trying to use what you've got now with Haugen's rewrites for the new texts, :) which we are reliably informed are already waiting for the starter's pistol but which the man himself has said are not final and may be changed..... :(