God has chosen me

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Southern Comfort

Re: God has chosen me

Post by Southern Comfort »

Psalm Project wrote:OK... re Bette Middler... please have a listen to this one from the same OCP website...
http://www.spiritandsong.com/articles/s ... 86/current
Opinion please?

Well, how very cosy. And how very badly produced. Stick someone in front of a mic in a small, dry studio the size of a shoebox, get them to sing along with the backing tracks already laid down on piano and synth, forget to add the same kind of acoustic to the vocal that you've already added to the backing tracks, and ─ voilà! A real mess. And while you're at it, don't remind the singer that "My hands are lifted (gulp for breath) high" is definitely not the best way of phrasing this.... :D

I'm very comfortable with easy listening stuff like this (though not in the liturgy), but please, at least do it well!
Psalm Project

Post by Psalm Project »

Red would not be 'My squeeze of choice' :lol:
I've gone over to whites in recent years - had a really nice French Chardonnay yesterday with my wife!
Much more sophisticated (maybe complex like the French) than new world variants of that grape!
However, if you can find a decent Merlot I'll agree to red!
Must still say that Jackie Francois' 'God my Father' is appealing.
Must get back to my work now!
Psalm Project

Post by Psalm Project »

SC... as for production values... there is no accounting for taste!
Folk singers (and such) have their own ways of word expression... some might say bad breath control... sometimes it is nice!
Vox Americana

Post by Vox Americana »

OT, I know, but there are many ways of looking at the same piece: in my youth, I loved Queen's Fat Bottomed Girls, but then I haerd this version and now I like both types of music: country and western...

Just because I can, I happen to like both Bernadette Farrell's original version and the new one. I'd not wanna use the latter in Mass, but it has a definite place, in my opinion. And, PP, I also quite liked God my Father, but again not for Church services. And there's the dilemma: what I choose to listen to, from time to time, in the privacy of my own home, is up to me; and what my Church chooses to sing corporately differs. That's cool and the way it ought to be.
Vox