Electronic hymn number display

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Benevenio

Re: Electronic hymn number display

Post by Benevenio »

No, Gwyn: it doesn't overcome Hare's need to have more than four numbers.
Nor does it persude people to look at the board at times other than the four-hymn sandwich slots, so that they realise that they do have the words to the Latin in their hymnbook.

No, what you need is a cute projector: like this one. 8)
Benevenio.
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

Fantastic! It could reside at the west door, moving toward the sanctuary when required,d o its worst, then return to tumultuous applause. :lol:
Benevenio

Post by Benevenio »

Hare,

given that the ones that people have seen are from German-speaking sources, perhaps you need to Google "Liedanzeigen" maybe coupled with "Projektor" or "Leuchttafel"...

eg this page

From this site I quote: "Electronic song displays play an important part in motivating church visitors to participate in collective singing." :roll:
Benevenio.
Benevenio

Post by Benevenio »

One further thought: rather than spend the money on an electronic board, why not contact your local (Cathoilc) secondary school DT department and get them to make a wooden one with enough slots for your needs? This has the potential to be the basis of a GCSE woodwork project, helping both the student and the Church. Similarly, if you needed an electronic solution, I am sure that could be devised by a school. Either project could be a positive link between parish and school, a link which is all to often lacking, in my experience.
Benevenio.
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

Think I'll stick with me services sheets: item begins, everyone looks at sheet and sings. You have the verses you want and are not limited to items from one collection.

Hymnboard = item begins and everyone shuffles through hundreds of pages finding the right place.

Me next plan is to steal/burn/hide the people's Mass books. All the way through the readings you can hear people flicking pages and saying to the bod next to them: "What page is it?" And Lord know why they need them when there's a reader doing what readers do – reading!
SOP
Parish / Diocese: Salford

Post by SOP »

I know what you are saying Nick but I have to say that since our church brought in Mass books people seem to be paying more attention.

Some readers obviously do not go over the reading before Mass, some rush through as if they don't want to be there, others read sooooo slowly ..... with ..... very ..... long .... pauses .... so .... you .... lose ... the ... zzzzzzzzzz.

I am looking forward to Summer School and Peter Tibke's workshop.

Back on topic - I agree that Powerpoint or projectors can draw the eye away from what is the altar.