Christmas sequences

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

HallamPhil
Parish / Diocese: St Lawrence Diocese of St Petersburg

Christmas sequences

Post by HallamPhil »

Has anyone ever looked at the provision for Sequences at Christmas? For the first time in 35+ years I've been steered in that direction by my PP and we have unearthed Latin texts still used in the Dominican Missal (but obtained from the internet). Fortunately in my choir I have a fine translator and versifier who has supplied these and we have agreed setting the Night Mass sequence to the tune Quem Pastores laudavere and the Day Mass sequence to the tune Orientis partibus (Laudate 349).

I note that these no longer appear in the Roman Missal but wonder if that means that they cannot be used. They certainly add to the flavour and celebration of the feast! I also not that unlike many 19th century carols these are a good deal more theologically sound.

The same translator, Michael Bryant, has also translated a carol which (from memory) he has subtitled a 'MOT for donkeys'. At first glance I thought it must be a spoof but in fact it is a close translation, the humour of which might have gone undetected in latin!

Happy Advent to all our readers!

Phil
festivaltrumpet

Re: Christmas sequences

Post by festivaltrumpet »

HallamPhil wrote:I note that these no longer appear in the Roman Missal but wonder if that means that they cannot be used.

They may not be used as a sequence (unless your PP is a Dominican) as the Christmas Sequence in the Roman Rite was abolished at Trent.

The majority of the texts sung in the parishes are not in the Missal, so if one has no issue with substituting other texts for those prescribed in the Graduale, why should the other texts not be those of the ancient sequences? What earlier generations held as sacred, remains sacred and great for us too.

As you note elsewhere these texts benefit from avoiding the weather in the northern hemisphere or a baby Jesus who behaves unlike any other baby in Christendom.
Southern Comfort

Re: Christmas sequences

Post by Southern Comfort »

The Laetabundus is a beautiful piece of chant, used in some recent German organ music as a cantus firmus. I wonder if they use it over there, Trent or no Trent.