Evening Prayer with Exposition

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Merseysider

Evening Prayer with Exposition

Post by Merseysider »

Anyone ever done it?

We're sacrificing one of our music group meetings a month for a "Sing and Pray"evening. Basically, come along at 7pm and learns some psalms, chants (plainsong/Taize/Walker/Farrell/Yours Truly), etc then move into a form of evening prayer around 7.30pm. Along the lines of a Lucenarium: candles lighted during first hymn, brazier (rather than thurible) before the altar, spoonful of incence added at the beginning of each psalm/canticle; "Let my prayer rise before you like incence".

Each of our choir ladies is firmly instructed to bring a friend – outreach work I suppose – we hope this will grow.

The PP has asked for exposition – he's currently on sick leave but we have a deacon and those people we're no longer allowed to call Eucharistic Ministers.

Now, here's the rub: the dean (himself a fine liturgist) has told me the whole thing is unliturgical and we shouldn't really be having exposition.

Can anyone explain this more fully to me?

In the days of Benediction, all sorts of different devotions were used – presumably the psalms/magnficat would not be unsuitable.

From what I can gather, it's OK to pray Evening Prayer during exposition, but it's not OK to have exposition during Evening Prayer. As a nun friend once told me, you can pray while you're smoking but you can't smoke while you're praying.

All answers/experiences gratefully received.

A
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

May I suggest you use the two-volume red books "Holy Communion and Worship of the Eucharist outside Mass" - paragraph 66 in volume 1 should be most helpful if anyone thinks there can't be exposition and a celebration of the Prayer of the Church together

Instead of the short reading of the Hour, you might like to choose readings from volume two of the above.

These volumes should be in your sacristy somewhere.......
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

Thank you Presbyter.
It's always useful to be able to quote the odd rubric back.
Also my critic is failing to understand the people we're working with: they're right behind the PP, the catechists and Your Truly in all liturgical development – but they are also thrilled to bits at the thought of exposition – they're not hankering after old-style Benediction but are actually looking forward to singing Evening Prayer.
Further, because we share a priest, the church is only used for Sunday Mass and one during the week – here's another opportunity for the community to gather in prayer. A bonus, surely.
Will let you know how it goes.
Merseysider
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Re: EVENING PRAYER WITH EXPOSITION

Post by presbyter »

Merseysider wrote:In the days of Benediction.........

Errrrrr - they haven't ceased you know! During Lent I put on two Holy Hours a week on Tuesday and Friday afternoons - Exposition (with readings, prayers etc..) ending with Benediction - well attended too!

Along the lines of a Lucenarium: candles lighted during first hymn....

I wouldn't put on a Service of Light together with Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament - too confusing as to what is being celebrated. Begin with a Eucharistic Hymn and an opening prayer (see page 48 of volume one) - then silence - then into the psalmody of Vespers (no reason why you can't insert a prayer inbetween the psalms). Then perhaps an extended Liturgy of the Word with sung responsories. Magnificat - incense here. Intercessions and Lord's Prayer then follow the rite as on page 48.
SOP
Parish / Diocese: Salford

Post by SOP »

Merseysider - did you go ahead?

I know you have been busy with the boys' choir and also you have been ill, so just asking really.
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

Hello SOP – curious! How did you know I'd been ill?
Yes, went ahead. In fact, just back from second Evening Prayer – going very well – particularly shared prayers rather than the intercessions in the book. Personally convinced it's the Blessed Sacrament and the smoke floating up from the brazier which facilitates this – these are not the sort of people who would sit in a circle at a prayer meeting.
Coincidentally, also had first proper rehearsal with my first eight lads today – can anyone explain why they don't like "Sing of the Lord's Goodness" but they love a plainsong Agnus?
Teenagers baffle me!
ILRush

Post by ILRush »

Merseysider wrote:Hello SOP – curious! How did you know I'd been ill?

You told us on another thread!
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

One of the reasons I am always repeating myself.
I waffle so much I forget what I've already said!