Annual James Crichton Memorial Lecture

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

MaryR

Annual James Crichton Memorial Lecture

Post by MaryR »

Just a reminder that this will take place on Saturday, 22 November 2008 at St. John's Cathedral, Salford, M3 5LL.

This year's lecture - Liturgy-Music-Culture: can they live in harmony? - will be delivered by Paul Inwood who needs no introduction, I'm sure.

The Lecture begins at 2.15 pm and everyone is most welcome. However, if you want to make a day of it, there will be an SSG Mass at 12.10 pm (appropriately, on the Feast of St. Cecilia), follow by a buffet lunch. There will be a music rehearsal for the Mass from 11 am.

For SSG members (and anyone else who might be interested!), the Society's AGM will take place at about 3.15 pm and the day will end with Evening Prayer at 4.30 pm.

It would be wonderful to have lots of support for this year's rather more northern venue. If you are coming, please let me know (PM me, or email - secretary@ssg.org.uk) so I have numbers for lunch which is kindly being organised by the Cathedral staff for us.
Mary
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Re: Annual James Crichton Memorial Lecture

Post by docmattc »

MaryR wrote:It would be wonderful to have lots of support for this year's rather more northern venue.

Its not that northern- not all of us wear flat caps and have pet ferrets up here... well at least not this side of the pennines :P

I'll see you all there
SOP
Parish / Diocese: Salford

Post by SOP »

One little nit-pick - the weekday Mass at the Cathedral is celebrated at 12.10pm. As with every Mass, all are welcome.
TimSharrock

Post by TimSharrock »

docmattc wrote:Its not that northern

It is North of me, but not very far.... I could cycle, but I think I will be lazy, and take the tram
mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Post by mcb »

All are definitely welcome, SSG member or not. I'm especially hopeful that lots of people will come and join in the choir. We're aiming for a good mix of music, with the best of the old and the new. One piece of music I'd like to include, if we get enough singers who are willing to rise to the challenge, is Victoria's magnificent O Quam Gloriosum.

To help with learning it, I've put together a pdf file of the score, and midi files highlighting each of the four parts (so you get all four parts, but yours is louder than the others). I don't seem to be able to upload either pdf files or midi files to the forum. Instead I've put them on the web here. Feel free to download the files, and do have a look if it encourages you to sing with the choir on November 22nd, and if it helps you prepare for it.

I put the score together in a hurry from various freely-available editions. Musicology it ain't! But a cracking good piece to sing for the feast of the patron saint of music. Hope you'll feel like coming and singing.

Martin.
Alan
Parish / Diocese: Holy Redeemer Pershore [Birmingham Archdiocese]

Post by Alan »

I'll be there, Martin, and would like to offer my basso profundo for the choir. Good idea to put the music online - I will learn it in advance!

Alan Smith
mcb

Post by mcb »

Thanks, Alan, I'm profoundly appreciative. :-) It would be very helpful if others intending to come could drop me a line, or post here - that way I'll be sure we can raise a team for the Victoria. At the moment, to judge from messages I've received, we're doing well for tenors and basses and could do with a few more sops and altos. Do come, and let me know if you're planning to.

M.
TimSharrock

Post by TimSharrock »

mcb wrote:It would be very helpful if others intending to come could drop me a line, or post here ... we're doing well for tenors and basses and could do with a few more sops and altos

I have downloaded the files, and started practising the Bass line... but it has been a long time since I sang any proper 4-part music :? ! see you there :D
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

I was going to come but I think it might be too hard for me.
Does it really go De dum de dum de dum de dum ....?
uh oh!
mcb

Post by mcb »

No, that's the theme from the Pink Panther, isn't it?

Come anyway, Oops - there will be people who can help give a lead in the tricky bits (I hope :-)), and lots of music of different sorts that won't be anything like as difficult. The more the merrier.

M.
SOP
Parish / Diocese: Salford

Post by SOP »

Looking forward to the psalm.

:D
mcb

Post by mcb »

I finished it hours ago. :-)
TimSharrock

Post by TimSharrock »

see you in the morning... will listen to O Quam Gloriosum a few times on my mp3 player on the tram :)

Is the music practice in the cathedral itself?

Tim
mcb

Post by mcb »

Easier, I think, to have it in Cathedral House, upstairs in the, ahem, Throne Room, which is where Paul Inwood's lecture will take place too. Go in through the car park and ring the door bell. If there are enough bodies available I'll post someone there to let people in, and someone in the Cathedral to redirect people next door for the practice.

See you tomorrow. All are welcome!

Martin.
TimSharrock

Post by TimSharrock »

Thanks all - that was a wonderful day :D

I cannot remember ever learning and singing so music in one day - I found the lecture inspiring - and I have several CDs to add to my Christmas wishlist