Annual James Crichton Memorial Lecture

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

oopsorganist

Re: Annual James Crichton Memorial Lecture

Post by oopsorganist »

That is good Mary.

Nick, I did not know who you were either! Perhaps we could have name badges for such occasions? I just sang with lots of people whose names I did not know! Even people I have met before I forget, must be my age.

Mary you bring Leadership out of this discussion, which is right, workshopping needs that quality..... would there be any chance of finding funding for a sort of training person..... there is such a focus on singing, it's very "in" at the moment and there seem to be projects that get going with funding from? I was just thinking that it could be a useful thing for a the society and for the training of church music in the future.... developing leadership and so on.... can't think this quite out because of woolly brain. Just an idea, might not be permissable. Music Ambassadors and all that.
This might not be permissable too. When I am feeling dull and have little time, I often wish I could buy training materials for my little and erratic choir. A CD with for example, the parts for a Holy Holy, eg the Schubert one. Or something Gospel style and of practical usage. It takes ages for a non music reading group to make progress and for the youngsters it is such hard work. If I could give them a CD then they could take it home and internalise some of it before pratice sessions which would speed things up really. Maybe others have more people to sing, and more resources but we struggle to make headway. Nothing very demanding, just a few hymns or Acclamations to work on. Maybe a few items for a multi cultural church? Using whatever you can as Paul Inwood said.....
Sorry, big nuisance me, I know.
uh oh!
HallamPhil
Parish / Diocese: St Lawrence Diocese of St Petersburg

Post by HallamPhil »

Oopsorganist exemplifies the point made by many that on Saturday we came together in good numbers as a society but did not know who we were. It would have been good to have shared identities. Online many folk are anonymous and after a day together we remained just that.

I enjoyed the day and thank all without naming names!

I remain yours truly 'sine nomine'
SOP
Parish / Diocese: Salford

Post by SOP »

I think that idea from Oops has quite a bit going for it.

Something like Baptised with Fire but as a training CD with the individual parts - could it be done?

Different choral societies I have been with have done something similar but it is usually up to one person to play out the part, record it, amend it, make multiple copies, etc and can be seem to be more trouble than it is worth.

No doubt there would be copyright problems though.

Mmmm, needs some thinking about but must be worth the investigation.