Baptism at Mass

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Baptism at Mass

Post by VML »

I am puzzled by the point in the current M&L (Michael Joncas) referring to the 'vexed question of infant baptism at Sunday Mass.'

We somehow missed the boat when our children were born, as it was not the custom in the 70s, but all our grandchildren have been baptised during Sunday Mass.

However, our parish has had something like 40 baptisms this year and I can see that it could well take over every Sunday. What happens elsewhere? I wish we could say to the parents, 'See you next week and all the weeks after that with your children.. ' but it doesn't sem to work like that.
Many Sundays straight after 10.30 Mass families arrive, with no possibility that they have been to Mass that day. We hijacked last Sunday Mass with one of our latest.
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Re: Baptism at Mass

Post by docmattc »

I believe at our place parents are given the option of during the 10.30 Mass or 1pm on their own.

I well understand that baptisms should ideally be celebrated with the whole parish community gathered (ie at the Sunday Mass), but there's an assumption there that the family of the child to be baptised are a part of, and known to the community. In my mind that's the vexed question. How to we welcome a child into the community when we've never seen it, or its parents before, and know we're not likely to again until its time for 1st communions. I remember my Aunt commenting once that they had had a baptism during Mass, which she wasn't pleased about. "Its nothing to do with us, why can't they have it with just their family?" She said. Maybe that says as much about her perception of the parish community though as it does the involvement of the family in question with it. I think the family were actually quite prominent in the parish.

When we have baptisms in Mass I don't feel they take over- they have the introductory bits at the start, the baptism post homily and blessings at the end. I may, or may not include a baptismal hymn at the prep of gifts, but the texts of the day still take precedence.
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Post by VML »

Thanks docmatt,
We did have 'O the word of my Lord' which we often do for baptisms, but especially this time as the baby is Jeremiah, and he managed to be at his first Mass at three days old, when we even had a reading from his namesake.
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

All this bothers me too.
I was well vexed when I asked for Baptism for one of mine (before Lent) and was refused because there were to be no more Baptisms until Easter Sunday, so ending up trying to organise a family celebration on Easter Sunday which was bit of a pain, and a feeling it was not much of a personal event. Baby nearly not fitting Christening robe and all that. (Ellie?)
But I digress as per usual.
We had a baptism this morning after Mass, but the family came to Mass. I did not know them. They were Black African. I was just wishing we were doing more lively music. I don't know why that sprang to mind, but it did, maybe it is a bit stereotypical. I suppose I ended up wondering if the music would drive them away or draw them in. And don't know the answer. Because we have no social structure in the parish I do just wonder how these newcomers feel...... probably not welcomed. Our PP is very loving and will have given great warmth but there is not heart in the parish ... for all sorts of reasons.....maybe I worry too much and the primary school will provide their own support and so on. Hope so. We have had 30 plus baptims this year. But there are not 30 more families at church. We have many spare places in our school so that is not the reason for all the Baptising, more that there is a transient and or immigrant population.
I do object that PP usually does dipping after Mass, because I think folk who are gathered outside looking awkward and sheepish, should be made to sit through the service to hear a bit about what is going on and put some money in the plate. I just think they should. Otherwise there is little point.
I can't help wondering what the Irish migrants of the past, in another dispersion, would have thought of the kind of welcome we provide for newcomers?
I keep meaning to get a hymn ready for these occasions .. would the Offertory Procession be a good time and what could be sung? What would others do or not do for such an occasion/opportunity.
uh oh!
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

oopsorganist wrote:I keep meaning to get a hymn ready for these occasions .. would the Offertory Procession be a good time and what could be sung? What would others do or not do for such an occasion/opportunity.

I've used Paul Inwood's "Water of new birth" (Ritual Moments collection) during the offertory, post-baptism. Trouble is though that the prayer of the faithful comes between the baptism and the offertory so there's something of a disconnect. I keep meaning to have a look at whatever guidance there is and see if there are other ways of doing things.
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

Today they were there so was baby but Baptism was after Mass. More of an opportunity for something welcoming....
uh oh!
asb

Post by asb »

docmattc wrote:
oopsorganist wrote:I keep meaning to get a hymn ready for these occasions .. would the Offertory Procession be a good time and what could be sung? What would others do or not do for such an occasion/opportunity.

I've used Paul Inwood's "Water of new birth" (Ritual Moments collection) during the offertory, post-baptism. Trouble is though that the prayer of the faithful comes between the baptism and the offertory so there's something of a disconnect. I keep meaning to have a look at whatever guidance there is and see if there are other ways of doing things.

"Baptized in water, sealed by the Spirit" (tune "Bunessan") works well; says the right things and everyone knows the tune.