Lourdes mass

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Angela Barber

Lourdes mass

Post by Angela Barber »

Does anyone know where I can obtain a CD of the music of the mass celebrated by the Pope during his recent visit to Lourdes? Although I have a score of this music I have no idea who composed it and what it sounded like. The score says Chants Messe 2008 so I imagine this is a new composition................. Angela
Please help the choir to keep in tune
Mancunian

Re: Lourdes mass

Post by Mancunian »

Hello Angela,

If it's what I think it is, (my copy is headed 'Chants Messe 2008) it's by Jean-Paul LeCot and most of the parts of the Mass are labelled La Messe du Jubile 2008.

It's published by NDL Editions, and my score has a sticker with a price of Euro 3.50. I didn't buy it myself - our then Parish Priest brought it back from Lourdes earlier this year. It's in Latin and French. I did have a shot at adapting it to English words (use of Latin having been vetoed by the PP) and used it over the summer, but although I quite liked it neither the congregation nor the choir seemed to take to it. The main problem was the Agnus Dei - it is in E minor without a sharpened leading note, and there would always be at least one person who would instinctively try to sharpen it!

I don't know if a CD is available, but if it is I wonder whether any of the usual church music suppliers might be able to get it - Decani were very helpful in gettng me something from the USA a couple of months back.

Mancunian
HelenR
Parish / Diocese: Dartford

Post by HelenR »

Hallo Angela -
You can listen to the papal masses on audio files on the Lourdes website http://www.lourdes-france.org/index.php ... rique=804#.

While on this thread can anyone tell me where I can buy an official copy of JP Lecot's "Gloria" with accompaniment.

Helen
Ros Wood
Parish / Diocese: Christ the King Chingford - Brentwood Diocese

Post by Ros Wood »

The Lourdes Bookshop (Librarie) website is http://www.lourdes-editions.com/

The site is in French but you can order on-line.
Angela Barber

Post by Angela Barber »

Many thanks to Ros, Helen and Mancunian for their help.
My choir has been asked to provide the music for a solemn mass to commemorate a patron saint's day at a local AngloCatholic church. The vicar(who fancies himself as a musical knowall) has, in his wisdom, decided that the Lourdes 2008 gloria and agnus dei should be interspersed with the gathering mass with the pater noster thrown in! The choir is thrilled to be asked to perform in a different church and is tackling the Lourdes stuff really well. I've put English verses into the gloria using three sets of the couplets and it doesn't sound too awful. However, I shall be sending up a few prayers to St. Cecilia on the night....... back to preVII as this church is more catholic than the RC's - the lace, brocade, fiddleback chasubles and birettas will be much in evidence. All good experience for my girls and boys - don't think they have that on the Gold Coast, Bangladesh or Sri Lanka but I may be mistaken!!! Watch this space for a review in mid November!! Angela
Please help the choir to keep in tune