presentation book for psalmists

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

presentation book for psalmists

Post by docmattc »

There are occasions when a soloist here sings the psalm from a sheet of paper. Usually because its a setting I've had to write, tweak or rewrite in some way. I'm unhappy someone arriving at the lectern and proclaiming the Word of God from a sheet of paper and had a trawl round the church publishers/suppliers etc for a nice presentation book or folder that the piece of paper can be placed within.
In my mind I saw a nice leather effect cover with some illuminated manuscript detail of David on the front but other that OCP's plain 8.5x11 sized folders (ie smaller than our standard A4) I've drawn a complete blank.

I could of course go to a stationers and see if there's anything available with a plain cover but I want to avoid it looking cheap and plastic. Anyone any ideas?...

...A bit later. Just made the mistake of googling "leather binder". The results weren't what I was expecting :oops:
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Re: presentation book for psalmists

Post by Nick Baty »

As the psalm is part of the Liturgy of the Word, we simply slide the offending piece of paper into the Lectionary. Then, when the psalmist goes to the lectern he/she simply opens at the correct place. It then looks as though it's being sung from the Lectionary.

....A bit later, thanks for the Google tip.
musicus

Post by musicus »

Behave! :lol:
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
Psalm Project

Post by Psalm Project »

In a 'behaved' curiosity moment... The 'leather binder' got the better of me... I googled it... hmmm... nothing but honourable stuff there!
:o)

It's about promoting dignity in liturgy. I also have a big problem with those disposable sheets. You know, we make such a supreme effort to carry the book of the gospels in procession (Well, at my church we do) - Making visible and important that element of the word... mass leaflets render this action almost void.
The presentation binder is actually a very good suggestion. Something in leather possibly? Good quality? Something which will last... If sheets need to be used, even for psalm A4's, a binder does 'exactly what it says on the tin'... (A hymn comes to mind... Bind us... you finish it - -don't like that hymn!)
Makes good sense. Might cost a few bob but would be worth it, I believe.
pirate
Parish / Diocese: St Joseph Oakham Rutland

Post by pirate »

If bits of paper are in play, we have used those plastic A4 pocket books with a suitable image or liturgical colour of the day in the 'cover' pockets - a bit utilitarian, but straightforward and undistracting. Also have been known to use these folders for presiders at liturgies in college (and at Summer School) with entire 'script' set out in them - or for Prayer of the Faithful.

My last parish had a (blue) folder which one of the readers collected before Mass, one page 'Good Morning and welcome to St Thomas's. The readings for the Mass are on pages x and x (it was a Parish Mass Book parish); the Eucharistic Prayer will be X. Please check that you have turned off your mobile phone*.' The other page was The Bidding Prayers. Thus we knew at least one reader had arrived and that someone would lead the intercessions.

Children's Masses and Funeral Masses are the worst for people arriving at the Lectionary (still OT, but hey ho) while unfolding a grotty bit of paper and proceeding to read from it. No reason why they shouldn't have a copy of the text to prepare with, but scratty bits of paper say 'This is a party piece', not 'This is the Word of the Lord'.

And I'm sure there are good-quality leather binders about, but the thing that comes to my mind is the thing we used to keep the Radio Times in...

*actually when I last heard they didn't say this, but if I were still there I would have added it by now :wink:
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

Psalm Project wrote: The presentation binder is actually a very good suggestion.

Aren't we then saying, "And now – in between the two readings from the scripture – something completely different"?
Why read two readings from the Lectionary and proclaim the psalm from somewhere else?
The whole point of proclaiming the psalm from the lectern is to stress that this is part of the Word.
docmattc

Post by docmattc »

Nick Baty wrote:
Psalm Project wrote: The presentation binder is actually a very good suggestion.

Aren't we then saying, "And now – in between the two readings from the scripture – something completely different"?
Why read two readings from the Lectionary and proclaim the psalm from somewhere else?
The whole point of proclaiming the psalm from the lectern is to stress that this is part of the Word.

I don't anyone's suggesting that the Psalm should not be proclaimed from the Lectern (although I think Marion Tolley does in one of her books) and I agree that it should be proclaimed from the lectionary (or at least appear to be). I agree with your earlier post that sliding the page discreetly into the lectionary is the best bet. On rare occasions when I sing the psalm I have been known to sing it from the lectionary if I'm sufficiently confident of the tune.
If there's a reason why this isn't acheivable (several pages, a cantor who can't shed the comfort blanket of actually having the text in their hand all the time), then as PsalmProject and I have both said, the cantor should not be proclaiming from a scrap of paper.

PsalmProject wrote:I also have a big problem with those disposable sheets
OT, but true enough. In Jewish tradition the Torah Scrolls are never destroyed, yet we print the Word on a disposable sheet
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

All the psalmist need do is to be a tad more discreet about carrying the sheet of paper.
But never, ever, ever, ever, ever put the psalm into a presentation folder – that can more easily be seen.
docmattc

Post by docmattc »

Nick Baty wrote:All the psalmist need do is to be a tad more discreet about carrying the sheet of paper.
But never, ever, ever, ever, ever put the psalm into a presentation folder – that can more easily be seen.

True enough- it certainly shouldn't be seen to have more dignity than the Gospel (in our place we don't use the Book of the Gospels even though I think we have one)
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

Don't forget that GIRM says (para 61)

The psamist, or the cantor of the Psalm, sings the Psalm from the ambo or another suitable place [my emphasis].

I thought we had had this discussion before: when is it appropriate for the cantor not to sing from the ambo?

One answer can be 'when the ambo is on the opposite side of the church from where the musicians are sited'. In that situation, the "Great Trek" as the cantor crosses over the front of the church, bowing in the middle, in order to reach the ambo can be a major distraction after the 1st Reading. It's often better to use a dedicated cantor's music desk on the same side of the church as the musicians. In that case, a presentation book may not be necessary, since the cantor's music will all be in a folder on the music desk - no need to carry anything.
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

What would you do if next Sunday's reader happens to sit with his family on the opposite side of the church from the ambo?
asb

Post by asb »

Southern Comfort wrote:Don't forget that GIRM says (para 61)

The psamist, or the cantor of the Psalm, sings the Psalm from the ambo or another suitable place [my emphasis].

I thought we had had this discussion before: when is it appropriate for the cantor not to sing from the ambo?

One answer can be 'when the ambo is on the opposite side of the church from where the musicians are sited'. In that situation, the "Great Trek" as the cantor crosses over the front of the church, bowing in the middle, in order to reach the ambo can be a major distraction after the 1st Reading. It's often better to use a dedicated cantor's music desk on the same side of the church as the musicians. In that case, a presentation book may not be necessary, since the cantor's music will all be in a folder on the music desk - no need to carry anything.

In my parish, the cantor walks up with the reader at the end of the opening prayer, and takes a seat at the front near the ambo. (Musicians are in gallery at back) If a different cantor is doing the Alleluia, they go up at the same time, both cantors returning together after the Gospel.

On occasions, when the church is packed uncomfortably full, the cantor has had to sing the psalm from the gallery as they simply couldn't fight their way to the front!

Another question; I always feel it holds things up if the cantor remains at the ambo until the alleluia is finished. When I first came to this parish, it was the practice for the cantor to step down as the alleluia was repeated after the verse, allowing the priest or deacon to approach the ambo but this has somehow lapsed, and no-one can remember it being done the way I remember. what are people's views on this?

We also have one reader, who reads at daily Mass, and (ok, I know!) says the alleluia on those occasions - some weekday readers sing the alleluia, as does PP but he is away sick for some weeks now). When said reader reads on a Sunday, he insists on standing at the ambo during the alleluia, even though the cantor is leading it; the cantor has to stand in front of the ambo!

(An unrelated gripe: there is a mum in our congregation who is always moaning that the mass is "inaccesible" to children, and said at a childrens liturgy group meeting "Why can't we sing "Our God Reigns" more often? Children love it". I put it on back in the summer when it was appropriate - said family did not show, and same question was asked at a meeting in September by same mum! :x I thought "OGR" would be good for Mission Sunday yesterday as the Entrance Hymn. She arrived, with kids, just as we started the Gloria! :evil: )
contrabordun

Post by contrabordun »

So...the biggest bar to her kids' accessing the mass is their absence.
Paul Hodgetts
sidvicius

Post by sidvicius »

...holds things up if the cantor remains at the ambo until the alleluia is finished....what are people's views on this?
It might 'hold things up', or it might allow a moment for reflection, depending on your point of view. As a reader I get annoyed when priest/deacon can't wait a few seconds for the readers to sit down before he starts, the closing alleluia is never long enough for us to reach our seats and prepare to receive the gospel properly.

Another case of the lack of understanding (among clergy and lay alike) of the importance of moments of silence within the mass.

As for your obstinate reader, I think they need someone to advise them that if they won't sing the acclamation, their work at the ambo is done. Why stand there looking like a (self-important) lemon?
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

On the subject of binders I did try and persuade Pauline Multimedia that there was a market for such things - as Pirate suggested it would be useful for other ministers too.

In the end I use a plastic document wallet with images take from an icon calendar - not ideal but better that pieces of paper.

What I want for Easter though (well one day) is an Exsultet scroll - there are examples in Pisa which are illuminated with images. The idea is that the images are upside down to the music but as the scroll is moved over the edge of the ambo the images are seen by the congregation.
Another blog