Lateran Basilica

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

HallamPhil
Parish / Diocese: St Lawrence Diocese of St Petersburg

Re: Lateran Basilica

Post by HallamPhil »

I was fortunate enough to be invited by Stephen Dean to write a setting of this psalm for a 2000 National Choirs Festival event at Southwark Cathedral. As I recall the organist decide not to play the 3rd verse and this left me feeling somewhat wanting more at the podium. In the coach journey back to Sheffield that evening it received its first full performance! Thanks to asb and doc for considering this. Any who are interested can write to me at Cathedral Church of St Marie, Norfolk St, Sheffield S1 2B and if you enclose a suitable stamp I'll send a full copy and vocal score.
asb

Post by asb »

HallamPhil wrote:I was fortunate enough to be invited by Stephen Dean to write a setting of this psalm for a 2000 National Choirs Festival event at Southwark Cathedral. As I recall the organist decide not to play the 3rd verse and this left me feeling somewhat wanting more at the podium. In the coach journey back to Sheffield that evening it received its first full performance! Thanks to asb and doc for considering this. Any who are interested can write to me at Cathedral Church of St Marie, Norfolk St, Sheffield S1 2B and if you enclose a suitable stamp I'll send a full copy and vocal score.

Now, why do I have it in my mind that it was 1997 not 2000..... ? It sticks in my mind because our then PP retired on 9/11/97 and I could have sworn we sang your setting at his last Mass...... We had been going to the Southwark festival but something cropped up that prevented us going.
HallamPhil

Post by HallamPhil »

Asb is quite correct about 1997. Time plays tricks doesn't it and I have further checked the score and I must have updated it in 2000 after we had used it chez moi a few times. We used it for the annual Dedication of the Cathedral Solemnity which eerily enough falls on 11 september. The words of the verses are forever resonant with events on the same day across the water the following year (I think ... check with asb!)
asb

Post by asb »

HallamPhil wrote:Asb is quite correct about 1997. Time plays tricks doesn't it and I have further checked the score and I must have updated it in 2000 after we had used it chez moi a few times. We used it for the annual Dedication of the Cathedral Solemnity which eerily enough falls on 11 september. The words of the verses are forever resonant with events on the same day across the water the following year (I think ... check with asb!)

Indeed, 2001 :cry:

:P Thanks for your faith in my memory for dates Phil!)

Perhaps you updated it to take into account the organist's arrangement! :lol:
RobH

Post by RobH »

I was rather surprised when our new pp told me today that we shall be having a Mass for the dead on this Feast and that the hymns must be Remembrance - type hymns. We have not usually done this and I wondered what happens in other places. Do we have to forget about the Lateran Basilica because of Remembrance Sunday? I should be interested to hear.
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

RobH wrote:I was rather surprised when our new pp told me today that we shall be having a Mass for the dead on this Feast and that the hymns must be Remembrance - type hymns. We have not usually done this and I wondered what happens in other places. Do we have to forget about the Lateran Basilica because of Remembrance Sunday? I should be interested to hear.

I have been asked "The feast of the Lateran rather overshadows Remembrance Sunday, what can we do about it?" My reply was that the church calendar should always overshadow other events. I usually include an appropriate hymn (often Laudate 449) and the prayer of the faithful ends with a minute silence, but other than that, its the Mass of whatever Sunday it happens to be.
asb

Post by asb »

RobH wrote:I was rather surprised when our new pp told me today that we shall be having a Mass for the dead on this Feast and that the hymns must be Remembrance - type hymns. We have not usually done this and I wondered what happens in other places. Do we have to forget about the Lateran Basilica because of Remembrance Sunday? I should be interested to hear.

Do you not have another mass(es) at which the feast could be kept?
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

RobH wrote:I was rather surprised when our new pp told me today that we shall be having a Mass for the dead on this Feast and that the hymns must be Remembrance

Not sure how you can - would have thought Feast of the Day took precedence.
RobH

Post by RobH »

I'm not sure what our priest is doing at the other masses - we have five 'weekend' masses in the parish. The one I was referring to is the main Sung Mass. It's slightly puzzling because in many ways the priest is fairly traditional and I would have expected him to be quite rigid about keeping the Lateran Feast. I shall have to have a further chat with him about it.
docmattc

Post by docmattc »

RobH wrote:I was rather surprised when our new pp told me today that we shall be having a Mass for the dead on this Feast .

My diocesan Ordo says of 9th November "Masses for the dead are not permitted, except funeral Masses" but for 16th Nov "One Mass for the dead is permitted today for Remembrance Sunday"
Curiously it was the same in last year's ordo when the dates were 11th and 18th. So we aren't allowed a Mass for the dead on Remeberance Sunday, but we are the following week? Is this a typo? Can forum members see what other diocesan ordos say?
RobH

Post by RobH »

Just looked in our Diocesan Ordo (East Anglia) and for Sun 9th November underneath Dedication of the Lateran Basilica. Feast, it just says Remembrance Day, but no direction about a Mass for the Dead. Strange!
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

In the Cycle of Prayer the Bishops have permitted that one Mass for the Dead may be celebrated on Remembrance Sunday - whether it falls on a Sunday in Ordinary Time or (about every 10 or so years) on the Dedication of the Lateran Basilica.

In my own parish I seem to have 'won' the argument that whatever the Sunday the readings do not need to be changed - as we move to the end of the liturgical year the readings are eschatological - about death, resurrection, judgement etc. Even though the Dedication of the Lateran Basilica is more about the Church than a church it has strong themes of heaven and resurrection.
Another blog
HallamPhil

Post by HallamPhil »

Doc, I think this must be an error in the Ordo. Did you get the music I sent to your Church address?
docmattc

Post by docmattc »

HallamPhil wrote:Doc, I think this must be an error in the Ordo. Did you get the music I sent to your Church address?

I suspect the same. Picked up the music yesterday thanks (Its the first time I've had a letter addressed to "Maestro") and will teach it at choir practice tomorrow. I found I was familiar with the setting. I must have sung it at the cathedral with you in the past.
asb

Post by asb »

Southwark's Ordo says "Remembrance Day: One Requiem Mass may be celebrated for the dead of the two World Wars.

We are doing this at our 10.30 Mass, with 2 mins silence and Last Post. That leaves 2 other Masses to celebrate the Feast