Settings of psalm 135/6

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Settings of psalm 135/6

Post by docmattc »

Besides Marty Haugen's setting in PFTCY2, does anyone know of other settings of psalm 135/6 "O give thanks to the Lord for he is good, for his love endures forever"? It doesn't appear as the psalm in the Sunday cycle so no point looking in lectionary based collections, however it does crop up in evening prayer (Monday week 4).
alan29

Re: Settings of psalm 135/6

Post by alan29 »

Is that the same one as the Gelineau "Great is his love, love without end."
Alan
Alan
Parish / Diocese: Holy Redeemer Pershore [Birmingham Archdiocese]

Post by Alan »

My setting of Psalm 136, God's love is for ever!, is in Psalm Songs 2. It sets the ICEL Liturgical Psalter text and is rather jolly - two factors which will not commend it to the Conservative Tendency. The accompaniment looks tricky, but just think 'dum-di-dum-di-di-di' and all will be well.
docmattc

Post by docmattc »

alan29 wrote:Is that the same one as the Gelineau "Great is his love, love without end."
Alan

Could be, 117/8 starts in the same way though, but leaves the litany format after verse 4. 135/6 carries this format all the way through its summary of the creation, exodus etc.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

No - there is a Gelineau setting is 135/136 - you will find it in Laudate in the psalm section at the beginning.
I have found that it is one of those things you can be surprised that people know.

For EP the full text can fits - except you need to do 2/3 of a verse for 'Og, king of the bashan' - or omit that verse
Another blog
docmattc

Post by docmattc »

Gabriel wrote:No - there is a Gelineau setting is 135/136 - you will find it in Laudate in the psalm section at the beginning.
I have found that it is one of those things you can be surprised that people know.

So I will- and I think I know it! It certainly seems vaguely familiar.
The beginning section of Laudate is one I think I should explore more often.
HallamPhil
Parish / Diocese: St Lawrence Diocese of St Petersburg

Post by HallamPhil »

It is fairly easy to adapt John Bell's setting of 'O Give thanks to the Lord (for his love endures for ever) to this psalm. I agree this is one of those psalms that composers do not seem to be much interested in.