Old organ update.....

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

oopsorganist

Old organ update.....

Post by oopsorganist »

I have started a new thread about my stupid organ again. Because the old one was rude ish.

I took MB's advice about having a range of music to please old, young, and stone deaf, so I decided to do something I have never done before, take a hike around the church from one side to the other to play the last hymn on the organ. (We had the guitars out last Sunday and did one hymn unaccompanied to wake them all up). I thought going for.... Tell Out My Soul .....at the end was a good idea. The organ had other ideas and when I pulled out the stops it had a cypher going on already. I had to play with the cypher which was the b below middle c caused by the great pedals but sounding through all the pipes. We have just had the organ tuner out to another cypher. It went after a lot of fiddling around after mass bleeding the air out.... sort of. But I think it will return again because this one has happened before. I have just registered this old organ with NPOR Holy Family New Wortley Leeds .......... the tuner says it is a complete dog and not worth anything. I quite like because we have had some strange times together. PP lives in ignorant bliss. I don't know quite what to do. Can the tuner get it sorted? Or is in need of major repairs. It is a tracker action of 1895 ish made up of various other older organs. I do not use the pedals but only Great is working, the Violon need "major overhaul". I would hate a digital. And we have little in the way of funds really. What would be nice, would be a second opinion of the organ's importance and competence? The organ case is architectural and apart from the pink paint, is maybe the only bit worth valueing? We get lots of funerals and that is the only time a competent organist plays, but one of these has left it in cypher mode without warning me! Dear me.
uh oh!
RobH

Re: Old organ update.....

Post by RobH »

Have just looked up your organ on NPOR Oops - very interesting. The casework colour is very distinctive and perhaps not everyone's cup o' tea. Unusual design based on the Leeds Town Hall organ. The other unusual thing is that all the stops are placed in a row above the manuals - they are more often at each side on 2 manual organs. I think it was probably built by Abbott & Smith of Leeds. Don't be persuaded to replace it with an imitation. Unfortunately, I am rather a long way from Leeds or I would love to come and have a look at it as I am an organbuilder (originally from Huddersfield) and could give you a totally unbiased opinion. As it is over twenty years since I lived in the area, the only organ builders I know that are local to you are David Wood of Huddersfield (very reliable firm who would no doubt inspect it for you) and Malcolm Spink of Leeds who I don't know much about. My church (Our Lady of the Annunciation) here in King's Lynn has a small pipe organ and , although it sometimes has a mind of its own, I would never, ever swap it for an electronic as it makes such a lovely sound, even when I play it badly!
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

RobH wrote:Have just looked up your organ

Sorry, but I giggled!
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

And here is me trying to behave for a change!

It was much better blue and gold. Emulsion is not good for a church pipe organ. And pink does tend to raise the possiblities for mirth.....................
uh oh!
musicus

Post by musicus »

It's as well that 'organ' is not on the Beep List.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

further news
Dr. Rowntree is on the job!
Pinky is somewhere around 1800 to 1840 and is the oldest organ in the area! They are about to research archives and dismantle the sides to let it breathe or something...... reaches for dust mask.........

Wondering now if they should let me anywhere near such an antique!
uh oh!
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

Oops started this thread by saying:
I have started a new thread about my stupid organ again. Because the old one was rude ish.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I love this forum.
musicus

Post by musicus »

Sorry people, but I have removed some recent posts that mentioned a specific person. I know it's all in fun, but the first reference contravened the forum's rule 1:

Forum rules
1. Please post in a way that is respectful of other users. Flaming or abusing other users will not be tolerated.

That applies even more so to folk who aren't forum members.

Trusting that you understand.
blog
asb

Post by asb »

Please accept my resignation for having participated. I am sorry.
musicus

Post by musicus »

asb wrote:Please accept my resignation for having participated. I am sorry.

Thank you, asb, but it's not a resigning matter - just a moderation. Happens all the time elsewhere in cyberspace - it's just that we are a relatively polite bunch around here. Anyway, only one of the deleted posts could have been construed to have breeched rule 1 - and it wasn't yours.

So, let's get back on topic, please, everyone.
blog
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

asb!
!

:cry:

It's my fault for teasing about the colour of my organ which I dare not mention again, although you are the only people who understand my crossness about the abuse of the instrument.

For your penance you must look us both up ( organist and organ) next time you get round these parts, and play me something on the organ. Bring some nitromors with you. Stop stop, I feel some innuendo coming on......

The bear moderated only because he keeps a close paw on me! It's me that is naughty. Not you. And the bear should have known we were all joking. Which again is my fault. There's far too much laughing in my church. :lol:

Sh, don't tell anyone.
uh oh!