Payment for organists

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Psalm Project

Re: Payment for organists

Post by Psalm Project »

Sadly these "organists" are the ones who campaign most vigourously for no recognition for the rest of us.

...Well, they would not if you did not allow that situation to happen in the first place! You should be in control of the situation and not be placing yourself in the role of underdog!
It very much sounds like you need to meet with your PP with a view to sitting down for a chat about what's what.

They will play weddings etc. for nothing because they are desperate to be "heard" even by a church full of strangers.There have been several instances when I have been undercut (no fee) by one of these organists who has subsequently ruined someone's wedding. I can quote the organist who took on a wedding engagement and having discussed and agreed the music subsequently played something different on the day because "I don't play those pieces because I don't like them" Even one of the hymns was changed with no warning. Afterwards "we wish we'd asked you" is no consolation for a missing fee for me and a trashed wedding service for the couple.

... Again, I say you need to resolve that situation through the proper channels. I sense your frustration but you, and only you, can turn that situation about.
The situation, as you describe it, it totally unacceptable and unreasonable. Yes, it happens more frequently than it should, but it is possible to address it in a professional and dignified manner.

If an organist gives freely (literally) of his services on a Sunday surely it would be basic courtesy for the clergy to allow them first shout on the few paid engagements that come along.

... Yes, but only if an agreement is in place! You cannot expect most clergy (or anyone else for that matter) to think as you do. Speak up and be heard. Many clergy are genuinely unaware of the situation you describe - no, thay are generally not stupid - simply not tuned to where you are coming from. You need to use your voice!!!

As mentioned in previous posts, other denominations go one further than this and actually pay the parish organist for weddings even if he isn't used. Wow.

... That's because they have a worked out agreement! Not so WOW actually! Realistic would be better!

I've already said that many of us won't take money from the Church for Sunday Mass (and much more besides) because we see it as ministry rather than work. This should never be used as an excuse for abuse and exploitation the rest of the time.

... Ever ask yourself how far a priest would get by applying that logic? They are in ministry... surely, they should be doing it for nothing? That would go down a bomb!!!

"There have been several instances when I have been undercut (no fee) by one of these organists who has subsequently ruined someone's wedding.

... DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! It takes a bit of thinking and guts but, believe me, it is worth it in the end. you will at least know where you stand rather than blog the frustration on the SSG forum.
I fully appreciate where you are coming from - I've been there but I did something about it a couple of years ago.
I hope you can resolve it sooner rather than later!
manniemain
Parish / Diocese: St Margaret's Huntly - diocese of aberdeen

Post by manniemain »

Thanks for your words of encouragement. Rather than just a personal moan however this is a widespread problem the Church as a whole must address. None the less - your words of affirmation are most appreciated. Thanks! :D
Rob
Psalm Project

Post by Psalm Project »

Thank you. I am more than happy to offer any advice I can based on my experience which extends over thirty years.
Payment of church musicians is an area very close to my heart.
I am aware that it is an awkward area globally. You are not alone.
manniemain

Post by manniemain »

Psalm Project wrote:
... DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! It takes a bit of thinking and guts but, believe me, it is worth it in the end. you will at least know where you stand rather than blog the frustration on the SSG forum.
I fully appreciate where you are coming from - I've been there but I did something about it a couple of years ago.
I hope you can resolve it sooner rather than later!

I think one of the biggest problems we face is that many clergy (fortunately not my present PP) fail to appreciate the essential role played by liturgical music and see it as an expendable gimmick which lengthens Sunday Mass. Often their own faith is sufficiently strong for them to participate in minimalist worship without feeling the cold. Not everyone is the same!

A friend in the North of England is an accomplished organist who played, unpaid, for Sunday Mass for many years and directed a small but effective Parish Choir. She was pretty irritated when all paid work such as weddings in the Church was offered to another organist who was barely competent, often, in conflict with the expressed wishes of the couple. This was done "to even things up". Eventually, when she retired and became reliant on a pension, my (rather timid) friend plucked up courage to ask the PP if she might be considered for at least some of this paid work. The result of this was her immediate dismissal and, as the other organist was disinclined to play on a Sunday and certainly not for no-fee, the organ was taken off maintenance and music discontinued in that church. Even the choir found themselves suddenly redundant. Sunday Mass now (even 10 years later) lasts 30 minutes and the disputed wedding music is produced by a CD player. My friend now plays (for money!) in a Protestant church.

Could this happen anywhere else? Many more clergy will happily replace us with a "cyber-organist" and the anaemic sound they generate. In the deanary where I live nearly half the churches have no organist albeit for a variety of reasons. Are we a dying breed in the Catholic Church?
Rob
Psalm Project

Post by Psalm Project »

Well, assuming the situation presents exactly as you outline it, that is wholly unjust. It borders on hypocrisy. If that priest considered what you describe as an appropriate way to treat people, he is either insanely ignorant or an utter idiot. However, the church seems to be inhabited by many such characters. There are also many very good and dedicated priests - don't get me wrong.
I have witnessed so much of this 'carry on' down through the years.
It is a pity. So many good people give of their talents only to be given the 'slap in the face' as you describe.

However, here we are back to my starting point about communication and setting up a church policy on these issues - pastoral councils should be very much aware of these issues. Why? Well, because it is a parish issue - it should not be down to just the PP. There should never be a situation where there is a 'battle' :cry: going on (privately or otherwise).
PP's get moved on to other parishes - therefore, a parish / church policy needs to be in place to protect the general interests of the church.
manniemain

Post by manniemain »

This is an extreme example which I haven't seen repeated in 10 years but the music at that church remains destroyed all these years later and I have seen other examples "on the spectrum" and which haven't been too far behind. Choir and organist are now in other churches and are unlikely to be replaced because the infrastructure in the church has been allowed to deteriorate beyond affordable repair. It did provide me, then in a neighbouring parish, with an available deputy and new choir members, but for all the wrong reasons. "Organist" B was never heard of again!

This is all largely born of a belief in some quarters that music is an unimportant dispensible which can be used to promote other agendas (such as the "even things up" one.) These beliefs often reflect the highest of motives but are, shall we say, a tad ill-informed!

Church councils (and perhaps the Church in general) should certainly be involved in such monumental policy decisions. It is a sad fact that many are kept entirely in the dark and nothing is delegated with these kind of disasterous results!
Rob