Vidi Aquam

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

manniemain
Parish / Diocese: St Margaret's Huntly - diocese of aberdeen

Re: Vidi Aquam

Post by manniemain »

pirate wrote:The lift itself is one of those ones with a voice: 'First Floor!' etc, but I still think it should have been programmed to say 'The Lord be with you!' and 'Go in peace!' as the doors open and close.

And presumably the door will refuse to open unless the correct "and with your spirit" reply is given! :D
Rob
dmu3tem

Post by dmu3tem »

Joseph Smith was an Cecilian composer working in Ireland during the late C19th-early C20th. As a Cecilian he was influenced by plainchant (The Mechlin/Pustet variety - not Solesmes) and Renaissance Polyphony (Palestrina especially); but like some other Cecilian composers (His rival Joseph Seymour or Gustav Stehle) did not disdain more 'modern' techniques current at the time. There is an important Mass by him as well as some motets.

Thomas (Muir)
T.E.Muir
dmu3tem

Post by dmu3tem »

Sorry, I only answered half the original question.

There is a copy of Vidi Aquam in the collection held at the Talbot Library in Preston, along with other compositions by Joseph Smith. I have seen editions of his work in a number of old Northern Catholic collections ( e.g. St Augustine's, Preston; St Gregory's, Preston (both these now amalgamated into the Talbot Library collection); the main Catholic church in Burnley, and Ushaw College (volumes put together by Fr. Bonney). As far as I know it is out of print.

Thomas (Muir)
T.E.Muir