Vidi Aquam

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

manniemain
Parish / Diocese: St Margaret's Huntly - diocese of aberdeen

Vidi Aquam

Post by manniemain »

At the Easter vigil as well as on Easter day we sing a rather nice albeit ancient setting of Vidi Aquam by J. Smith that we've had for years. As I've not heard anyone else speak of it I wondered if anyone else uses this and is it still in print? Does anyone know anything about this composer? I presume (from his style) that he was a contemporary of Samuel Webbe (the older) and that he wasn't the J. Smith who composed for Walt Disney or the composer of the Star Spangled Banner. Are there any more of his pieces available? His music goes very nicely with SW's Haec Dies, Victimae and Regina Caeli and is of similar style.
Rob
HallamPhil
Parish / Diocese: St Lawrence Diocese of St Petersburg

Re: Vidi Aquam

Post by HallamPhil »

Thanks ... may be I'll consider this when we bless the new toilets in the Cathedral.
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

HallamPhil wrote:Thanks ... may be I'll consider this when we bless the new toilets in the Cathedral.

Surely you want Marty Haugen's "Springs of Water" for toilet blessing: "Praise, all you ponds and bogs" :lol:
musicus

Post by musicus »

Welcome to the forum, HallamPhil. :P
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
HallamPhil
Parish / Diocese: St Lawrence Diocese of St Petersburg

Post by HallamPhil »

Thanks for the very appropriate suggestion Matt. I will contact the visually impaired singer who normally sings that verse immediately.
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

docmattc wrote:Surely you want Marty Haugen's "Springs of Water" for toilet blessing: "Praise, all you ponds and bogs" :lol:

...or Paul Inwood's "We shall flush water joyfully...."
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

Going completely off topic (because clearly no-one here can help with the Smith Vidi Aquam), how about All Heaven Declares?
...Forever He will be the Lamb upon the throne...
Benevenio

Post by Benevenio »

Or there's Forth in the dawn light by Pamela Yale, with the lines:
“Go, work today, the flush of early morning
Brightens the east, and day is coming on;"

Back on topic: for the Easter Vigil, we use a setting of the Vidi Aquam from Plainsong for schools - not the usual setting, but an alternative, over the page, which sits nicely over a drone (organ pedal, clarinets and violins on bare fifths in various octaves).
Benevenio.
manniemain

Post by manniemain »

manniemain wrote:At the Easter vigil as well as on Easter day we sing a rather nice albeit ancient setting of Vidi Aquam by J. Smith that we've had for years. As I've not heard anyone else speak of it I wondered if anyone else uses this and is it still in print? Does anyone know anything about this composer? I presume (from his style) that he was a contemporary of Samuel Webbe (the older) and that he wasn't the J. Smith who composed for Walt Disney or the composer of the Star Spangled Banner. Are there any more of his pieces available? His music goes very nicely with SW's Haec Dies, Victimae and Regina Caeli and is of similar style.

Hmm - I've drawn a blank so far! If anyone does come across this setting, I recommend it. It's pure Victoriana but lovely for all that (nothing wrong with a great deal of Victoriana).
Rob
nazard
Parish / Diocese: Clifton

Post by nazard »

Several relations and parishioners have dumped their deceased ancestors' music collections on me, and my conclusions from sorting through it is that the Victorians produced just as much drivel as we do, it is just that the intervening hundred years or so has dumped most of it.

Nevertheless, they did some wonderful stuff. I am a fan of Stanford and Terry myself. Would it be possible to post it to the web? Perhaps Mr Bear would let us create a posthumous user for Mr Smith on the composers section?
manniemain

Post by manniemain »

I would certainly be willing to post it on the site as long as we weren't infringing copyright or performing rights or whatever else they've invented to protect composers (and torment choir directors) I think I've got a Sibelius processed copy somewhere on the computer I made to replace the rather illegible original I have. Can I post this? What say you Mr. Bear?

I am a particular fan or Terry's "Veni Sancte Spiritus" mass. The punters in the pew are also quite fond. We only do the Kyrie and the Agnus Dei (and not in English) We also do the Kyrie (in English) from his Short Mass in C. I confess we do that one with guitars and drums and frankly it sounds like it was written that way, which is more than can be said of some that actually were ! :shock:
Rob
musicus

Post by musicus »

If you are sure that it is now in the public domain, by all means upload it as an attachment to a post. PDF files are preferred. If you would rather, email your Sibelius file to me at editors@ssg.org.uk and put 'FAO Musicus' in the subject line, and I will process it.
blog
pirate
Parish / Diocese: St Joseph Oakham Rutland

Post by pirate »

Brazenly off topic here...

When we had the Bishop in to bless the new lift to the parish hall, the choir stood on the stairs all set to sing 'God goes up with trumpet loud'; however before the main business the PP diverted the Bishop into the refurbished loo-for-people-with-disabilities. I murmured that we should have prepared "Vidi Aquam'; an otherwise innocent-looking Franciscan friar we had with us at the time suggested 'Purge me, O God'....

The lift itself is one of those ones with a voice: 'First Floor!' etc, but I still think it should have been programmed to say 'The Lord be with you!' and 'Go in peace!' as the doors open and close.
musicus

Post by musicus »

musicus wrote:If you are sure that it is now in the public domain, by all means upload it as an attachment to a post. PDF files are preferred. If you would rather, email your Sibelius file to me at editors@ssg.org.uk and put 'FAO Musicus' in the subject line, and I will process it.

I have the file now, and will post it (all being well) at the weekend.
blog
Benevenio

Post by Benevenio »

pirate wrote:…bless the new lift …refurbished loo-for-people-with-disabilities.

Presumably with a reading from Isaiah 6: "I saw also the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up"…
Benevenio.