Holiday recommendations

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

musicus

Holiday recommendations

Post by musicus »

Mrs Musicus and I are holidaying in York (our alma mater) this year. Can anyone recommend (or warn against!) any churches in or around the city, please?
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

Re: Holiday recommendations

Post by organist »

The Minster choir will be on holiday but it's always good to go there. St Wilfrid's nearby is OKish. Ampleforth is within striking distance!
musicus

Post by musicus »

organist wrote:The Minster choir will be on holiday but it's always good to go there. St Wilfrid's nearby is OKish. Ampleforth is within striking distance!

Thanks, Organist. However, Mrs M (being more traditional than I) might baulk at attending Mass in the MInster. St Wilfrid's hasn't improved over the last 30 or so years then, and, unless it has been 'translated', I wouldn't describe Ampleforth as being within striking distance!

But, sincerely, thank you for replying. Perhaps there will be a Sunday Mass on the telly. :twisted:
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

. . . Mrs M (being more traditional than I) might baulk at attending Mass in the MInster

Good for Mrs. M.

Kingdom Hall might be worth a look :wink:
organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

Post by organist »

Mrs O reminds me that St Wilfrid's is awful - "like going back in the ark". St Michael Belfry next to the Minster used to be a famous church for evangelism. I think your choice is extremely limited! I'd go to evensong in the Minster and enjoy!
asb

Post by asb »

organist wrote:Mrs O reminds me that St Wilfrid's is awful - "like going back in the ark". St Michael Belfry next to the Minster used to be a famous church for evangelism. I think your choice is extremely limited! I'd go to evensong in the Minster and enjoy!

An Irish lady in our congregation (used to be in the choir :shock: until she went horribly flat one Good Friday and ruined "O sacred head" unaccompanied - but had the grace to realize and "bowed out" after that) once missed Mass when on holiday in the NE of England, and decided to attend choral evensong in Durham Cathedral in an attempt to make up for it. I asked her what it was like (knowing, longingly, full well what it would have been like :roll: ) and she replied "It was AWFUL!" "Really, why?" "It was PERFECT!" she replied!! :?
Benevenio

Post by Benevenio »

Here's one for you
If you fancy a lie in, there's a 1.30pm Mass…
Or perhaps you're going to York on the first or third Sunday? You could report back to us on the 6pm Mass experience.

Slightly more helpfully, this page lists the York Pastoral Area (about half way down the page) and you could at least find Mass times, even if some of the pages appear not to have been updated in the past couple of years.
Benevenio.
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

Or

you could come and play the pink organ. Not far, only half an hour in the car!

(Should the mighty cypher have been repaired since I went on my hols.......... )

A busman's holiday.

But comedy moments almost guaranteed.
uh oh!
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

So do we get a mystery worshipper report on your excursion to York Musicus? I'm not sure though how a bear could ever be a mystery worshipper- even I might notice if you walked into the church!