Responsorial psalm for Pentecost Sunday

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Responsorial psalm for Pentecost Sunday

Post by Gwyn »

The few verses of Psalm 104(103) set as the repsonsorial psalm for pentecost seem a bit thin when you consider the whole.

I'd love to use the whole (or at least most) of this psalm maybe as an entrance song on Pentecost Sunday. Is this permissable? (and if it is, what would I then use as a responsorial psalm?)

Pasg hapus i bawb.
Benevenio

Post by Benevenio »

Well, the rubrics allow you to sing the Entrance Antiphon or another appropriate text, if I recall correctly, so there's no problem to using the psalm per se... but I think you are right to wonder whether it is wise.

One solution could be to use a totally different translation to the Grail text used for the Responsorial Psalm;
or perhaps find a metricised version of the text (such as this 10,10,11,11 - though the text is a little archaic. There are others more modern: this one is 66 86; this one is LMD);
another might be to use a setting of the psalm after the first reading of the Easter Vigil, which uses verses other than those in the Lectionary for Pentecost;
and note that the Episcopal church allows Psalm 33 to be substituted, so perhaps this is an alternative text to consider for the entrance.

I found many metrical texts on google - search for "psalm 104" + metrical (include the quotes, plus sign is optional) and carefully sift!

As a last resort/thought, you could always use my setting of the responsorial psalm out of Baptised with Fire, though I suspect that Liturgiam authenticam excludes it these days! :wink:

Pasg hapus i chithau.
Benevenio.
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

Thanks Benevenio.

There's that delightful version in the anglican church's Cathedral Psalter where it speaks in psalm 104 (103) verse 26:
There go the ships: there is that leviathan, whom thou hast made to play therein.

Delicious eh?

I love the 10 10 11 11 metrical arrangement at

http://www.cgmusic.com/workshop/

in fact that whole site is full of useful, meaty stuff. Thanks for that.