Another new Roman document

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Another new Roman document

Post by presbyter »

The Sacred Congregation published this last Friday

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccdds/documents/rc_con_ccdds_doc_20040423_redemptionis-sacramentum_en.html

One might wonder - browsing through it - what on earth has been going on in some parts of the world!
SOP
Parish / Diocese: Salford

Post by SOP »

After only a quick skim through, I have picked up on the "Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion" - what they can and cannot be called.

Also, in the church I go to, it is only with the current pp that lay people have stopped being "on the chalice" when a Mass is concelebrated. I have known priests to be sitting through Holy Communion whilst a lay person has been an Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion. It was probably their turn on the rota and the fact that there were enough priests to fulfil the duties was neither here nor there!
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

The CTS have now produced a nicely bound booklet of Spiritus et Sponsa and the Chirograph on Church Music from JP II. This new document is, so far, only available on the internet.
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Liturgy etc..

Post by VML »

How seriously are we to take these instructions? Is this the source of the discussion on paraphrasing the ordinary of the Mass?

I note that our PP does not leave the altar at the sign of peace, but when he has been away and it has been necessary to have a Communion Service, our deacon comes right down the aisle and greets everyone, but I suppose this does not matter as it is not part of the Mass.

The main reason I came to this just now is that I was looking for info on the use of alternative or shortened versions, sung or spoken, of the Creed at Sunday Mass.

I have never had the confidence/ nerve to paraphrase the prayers of the Mass in any music I have composed, but our newly formed alternative music group have used alternative Creeds in 2 of their 3 monthly Masses.

The first was a spoken Cafod/ Trade Justice Creed, and today's was a version I remember hearing somewhere before: A shortened creed with sung refrain, ' I believe, I believe, Lord help my unbelief.' It seems to me that it would be possible to use this by ensuring that the full Creed is actually spoken between the refrains, but I would like guidance please.
I was told by the group leader that more 'school style' Mass music was clearly the will of the parish community.

The same leader would like to add a nice dramatic dialogue (Jesus and Mary Magdalen) song from the Iona book to the Easter Vigil. Am I wrong to rule this out?

Since our 'old' choir is pretty thin on the ground these days, maybe we should 'update' a bit. :?

Advice please!
musicus

Re: Liturgy etc..

Post by musicus »

VML wrote:...and today's was a version I remember hearing somewhere before: A shortened creed with sung refrain, ' I believe, I believe, Lord help my unbelief.' It seems to me that it would be possible to use this by ensuring that the full Creed is actually spoken between the refrains, but I would like guidance please.

That one is in Music for the Mass 2 (Geoffrey Chapman, 1993). if you can locate a copy. The music is by Chris Walker and the text - to be read by the celebrant or a reader - is "arranged" by none other than Crispian Hollis.

Another, equally good, Walker setting, again with a full text (sung), is We believe in one God, in Music for the Mass 1, (ibid., 1985).

I have used both to good effect.

Musicus
Last edited by musicus on Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Post by VML »

And who am I to argue with the Bishop.? Thanks, I only have Book 1 here, but I will try to get hold of the other one,

V