Taize evenings

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

SOP
Parish / Diocese: Salford

Taize evenings

Post by SOP »

Does anyone here lead a Taize evening?

If so, have you ever had any problems with anyone from the Taize community?
musicus

Post by musicus »

Question 1: Yes
Question 2: No

If you use the published Taizé materials and observe all the copyright niceties, all should be well.

Are you experiencing problems?

M
Last edited by musicus on Mon May 10, 2004 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

Taizé permissions can now be done through Calamus in this country - should be no problem whatsoever.
workhard

Post by workhard »

More years ago than I care to remember I helped organise a Taize evening at St John the Baptist in Brighton to 'host' two or three of the brothers who were in the UK at the time and they seemed very keen that such services should be held in as many churches as possible here in the UK with the proviso that the services should be inter-denominatonal. The spirit of Taize kind of demands that this is the case of you think about it.

what kind of problems have you had/did you envisage?
Greg Collins
Horsham, West Sussex
SOP
Parish / Diocese: Salford

Post by SOP »

Thinking about it, I personally have not had any problems with anyone from the Taize Community.

I have been told by a couple who go regularly that we 'should be doing this', and we 'should be doing that' otherwise the Brothers from Taize would complain.

I inherited the Taize evenings as there was a threat of them being discontinued if someone did not step forward to take over. I enjoy them so much and we have quite a few people coming along, I volunteered to run them. Needless to say, there have been times when I wondered if I was mad! Suddenly, everyone is an expert but don't have the time to do the donkey work.

Mmmmmm.

I will say that the way this couple have been talking, it is almost as if the Taize Community were trying to set up their own religion. I use the Taize chants as a way of providing an atmosphere to allow others to communicate with God through meditation and reflection. I will not bow and scrape to Taize.
musicus

Post by musicus »

SOP wrote:I have been told by a couple who go regularly that we 'should be doing this', and we 'should be doing that' otherwise the Brothers from Taize would complain.

What nonsense! It seems to me that this couple are, unconsciously or (God forbid) otherwise, 'using' the Taizé name to express their own disapproval, and, moreover, citing the fact of their frequent visits to lend credence to their opinions.

I too have friends who visit Taizé often, and I have heard absolutely nothing to suggest that the Community is anything other than open, welcoming and ecumenical. Indeed, even the music of Taizé is characterised by its flexibility. I venture to suggest that any suggestions of narrowness, complaining or worse come not from the brothers of Taizé - who are doubtless completely unaware of doings in your parish - but from those who arrogantly presume to speak for them.

Musicus