Sung Masses

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

Re: Sung Masses

Post by organist »

Come on nazard and in which monasteries do they groan the psalms??? Not a happy community then?
nazard
Parish / Diocese: Clifton

Post by nazard »

I wouldn't wish to embarass any particular monastic community, but all those I have ever come across have their share of those "singers" who select a note which has little to do with the notes anyone else has selected and stick by their choice. They may well be completely happy and expressing their joy in a state of ecstacy. Our congregation is blessed with people of a similar musical taste but no monastic vocation.

On a more serious note, surely no one expects a congregation to sing the antiphons from the Graduale Romanum? Given the quantity for every mass you really do need to be a sight reader to cope. On the other hand, singing psalm verses is not too difficult, especially if the simplest versions of each tone are used. I have attended vespers where the choir has sung polyphonic settings of the antiphons and the congregation has joined in the psalm verses.

If you are using the Graduale antiphons, is it allowed to sing the psalm verses in english? I have heard it done and it seemed to me to work well.
alan29

Post by alan29 »

If it is necessary to reverse the musical/liturgical intention by having the congregation sing the psalm and the choir sing the response (antiphon) perhaps we should draw conclusions about the suitability of "proper" plainsong for parishes.
Does having the people sing the odd "amen" and "et cum spiritu tuo" actually qualify as honouring our heritage. Could it be that the Council Fathers got it wrong?
Alan
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

I wonder if anyone has noticed how many pieces in recent times have been written with a significantly longer refrain for the congregation than the length of the psalm verses, redressing the balance more than somewhat. I'm sure this is far from accidental. Congregations can do far more than we give them credit for, if only we'll take the trouble to form them (see other recent threads).