Hymn book BearTraps

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

JoeWilkinson

Hymn book BearTraps

Post by JoeWilkinson »

We use Laudate, but this may affect other Books
The Full Music edition has several different different wordings to the Congregational Edition, e.g.
808 Only a Shadow: Music Edition has Old Words (with revised refrain!) with music and then Revised words as extra
Congregational Edition has Revised words under 808 and Old words at end of book.
878 "You shall go out with joy" - Congregation version uses "will" everywhere except the first line whereas the "full music edition" has "shall everywhere". The congregation edition has a couple of "all"s which are not in the music edition, and vice versa for a couple of "and"s.
846 "Amazing Grace" - full music edition first verse words are " ... saved and set me free", while the congregation edition has the usual " ... saved a wretch like me".
It occurs to me that others may have noticed other discrepancies (it does tend to upset people when the Music Group and the Congregation clash!).
So any others???
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Re: Hymn book BearTraps

Post by docmattc »

Welcome to the forum Joe.

185 in Laudate: Martin Foster's Gospel Acc for Lent. "Son of the Father, Word of God" in the Cong and Organ books, but "Word of the Father Son of God" in the Melody ed the choir have.

There's one in HO&N where the congregation have 2 more verses than the organ, its either "At the Name of Jesus" or " Let all Mortal Flesh" but I forget which and my music case is in the car. If I go out at this time of night I'll turn into a pumpkin!

Not sure why this topic is here in Admin??
JoeWilkinson

Post by JoeWilkinson »

It needs moving. I put it here by mistake. :?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

duly moved, Joe!
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

Laudate has literally thousands of misprints, which include many discrepancies between accompaniment and pew editions.

The most annoying thing about the myriad of misprints in the accompaniment books is that many parish musicians who aren't familiar with the original editions of these pieces are learning incorrect versions. I have even had arguments with people in Lourdes who insisted that what they were doing was right, when it wasn't.

This huge corpus of errors can not only sometimes be a travesty of the composer's intentions, it is a serious impoverishment of our repertoire, IMO. If I were Decani Music, I would commission a corrected reprint of the accompaniment books and offer it free of charge to every parish that has purchased the original edition.
Ros Wood
Parish / Diocese: Christ the King Chingford - Brentwood Diocese

Post by Ros Wood »

Southern Comfort wrote: I have even had arguments with people in Lourdes who insisted that what they were doing was right, when it wasn't.

Do you have any particular reason for think that being in Lourdes would make a difference?
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

Ros Wood wrote:
Southern Comfort wrote: I have even had arguments with people in Lourdes who insisted that what they were doing was right, when it wasn't.

Do you have any particular reason for think that being in Lourdes would make a difference?

No, only to make the point that Laudate's manifest failings have not only spread to the continent of Europe but are also from there being reintroduced into places in the UK where they did not previously exist - and this because, for some people, anything they experience in Lourdes is Gospel truth.
JW

Post by JW »

The 1989 words edition of HONR has 4 verses for 'Give Me Joy In My Heart' whereas the Organ edition only has 3 verses; it was several years till anyone told me!

"A New Commandment" leaves the congregation wondering what to 'Repeat'.

Organ edition of Soul of My Saviour's first line is "Soul of My Saviour, sanctify thy breast.

I'm sure there are others.
JW
dunstan

Post by dunstan »

Came across this one again yesterday: The purple version of Celebration has the numbers for "Faith of our Fathers" and "Eternal Father Strong" to save muddled up in the index.

Some years ago my sister attended a Catenian funeral where this had obviously bitten, and they sang Eternal Father to Sawson. Amazingly, it fits so long as you repeat the final "for those in peril on the sea".
It's not a generation gap, it's a taste gap.
Ros Wood
Parish / Diocese: Christ the King Chingford - Brentwood Diocese

Post by Ros Wood »

And Faith of our Fathers has differences between Full Music and the Melody/Congregation editions in CFE. Is it England or we all that will be free?
Last edited by Ros Wood on Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
dunstan

Post by dunstan »

Ros Wood wrote:And Faith of our Fathers has diffences between Full Music and the Melody/Congregation editions. Is it England or we all that will be free?

Laudate has "our land", CFE (purple) has England. We were singing that it would be England that Mary's prayers would win back for Him.
It's not a generation gap, it's a taste gap.
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

The numbers for "Be thou my vision" and "Lord of all hopefulness" are swapped in the index of the organ edition of L

They are consecutive hymns fitting the same tune so the congregation would never notice if the wrong number went up!
Peter

Re: Hymn book Woozle Traps

Post by Peter »

docmattc wrote:The numbers for "Be thou my vision" and "Lord of all hopefulness" are swapped in the index of the organ edition of L

They are consecutive hymns fitting the same tune so the congregation would never notice if the wrong number went up!

Er, not quite. 969 has up-beats to the second, third and fourth lines missing in 970. Once, when deputising on the organ in my father's church and therefore picking the hymns, I selected 970 and tried to play it as in the book, only to find that the congregation put the up-beats in and then wondered why they were getting into trouble. Thereafter I avoided it in that church and when I use it in my own, where we have printed service sheets, I use a version (published in Hymns For Today, among others) that fits the tune with the more familiar up-beats.

Incidentally, I've changed the title of this entry to reflect the terminology favoured by a certain Mr Inwood. Maybe he's more sensitive than other contributors to the feelings of our esteemed Moderator!
musicus

Re: Hymn book Woozle Traps

Post by musicus »

Peter wrote:Incidentally, I've changed the title of this entry to reflect the terminology favoured by a certain Mr Inwood. Maybe he's more sensitive than other contributors to the feelings of our esteemed Moderator!

Too kind! :)
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

CFE has two melodies for Make Me a Channel of Your Peace.

I know because I just waded into an unfamiliar one, somewhere in the middle of the score, hoping to wander around a bit before bringing it in for singing after Communion, by the time I had checked if I was in the wrong key, and that is why it sounded wrong, it was too late for proper thought and the only option to find HON and hunt that hymn.

Hyperventilation guaranteed.

And then the B below middle C cyphered.
uh oh!