music servant of liturgy?

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

music servant of liturgy?

Post by organist »

I was very conscious this Holy Week of the need to finish the music so that our priest can go on to the next part of the liturgy. He does seem to want to rush things and I made the point to him that I consider it very important personally and pastorally that I have time to get off the organ stool and go and greet people at the Peace. There is no need to rush onto the Lamb of God. We have NOT been helped here by the stupid edict from Rome that priests should not leave the sanctuary at this point. They get so little contact with people that to cut it down further in the liturgy is plain crazy - and at a funeral I think the priest should greet the mourners at this point.
The problem with this increased awareness is that sometimes the music finishes too soon. And what to do with a hymn which tells a story - go on to the end of the story of course. And then the other problem of an item with verses when the choir don't sing from verse 1 again if the item needs to be extended. Back to improvising to cover up!
:lol:
SOP
Parish / Diocese: Salford

Post by SOP »

A couple of points.

When I first heard that we were not supposed to be travelling around given the sign of peace here, there and everywhere but only to those close to us, I thought it was awful. But, on reflection, I can see the wisdom of what is being said. The sign of peace can get out of hand. This is especially noticable on retreats or workshops when you are almost obliged to exchange the sign of peace with everyone else in the chapel/room. All very nice but.

The other point is the place for silence in the liturgy. If a hymn or piece finishes, then let there be musical silence and if that means we only hear the sounds of servers going back and forth to the altar, or the thurifer being swung, then so be it. One thing that drives me crackers is when the priest and people are ready to move on but the organist goes on and on and on. And we all know how the last night always has to be stretched out!
SOP

Post by SOP »

Oh, and by the way, have just re-read the title of your post and YES, music is the servant of the liturgy. It is NEVER the other way round.
organist

Post by organist »

I am sorry to say that this particular servant of the liturgy has been dismissed by the parish priest for allegedly defying him. Completely untrue and he says he has no plans for either of the choirs. Very sad situation and judging by my correspondence an all too frequent occurrence in the church. What happened to collaborative ministry? :cry:
SOP

Post by SOP »

Sorry to hear that but hopefully you will be able to play elsewhere.

Was this a new Parish Priest or has it been rumbling on for a while?

Apart from being incredibly nosey, I am also wondering if priests are somehow being told to reclaim their churches.

Just a thought.
organist

music servant of liturgy

Post by organist »

Some priests continually talk of my church, my parish - they need to start listening to their people who talk of our church, our parish, even our priest. Let the people reclaim their church! :x
organist

music servant of liturgy

Post by organist »

Sorry SOP I didn't answer your question. PP has been with us a year having been in the mission field for 8 years where no doubt he was treated as God. He seems to have upset just about everyone!
Benevenio

pulling threads together

Post by Benevenio »

Perhaps you should team up with Merseysider! (ties threads together)
Long way to commute between London and "God's own city" though...
Benevenio.
Tsume Tsuyu

Post by Tsume Tsuyu »

Good thinking! It's great this forum! A solution to every problem. All Merseysider needs to do is locate the missing console, nick some pipes from a redundant church, pop down the M6 early every Sunday morning to fetch Organist and Bob's your Uncle. Oh, but is 'Agadoo' in Organist's repertoire? :wink:

On a more serious note, I'm sorry that you appear to be redundant, Organist. I hope you find somewhere a little closer than "God's own City" to use your talents.

TT.
organist

Post by organist »

I am pleased to say I have been appointed director of music of a C of E parish with a good choir and organ and a vicar and congregation who support the music. It's 7 miles from home - not as far as Liverpool!
We did attend Mass in Liverpool cathedral and thought the choir wonderful. I also played the mighty organ in the Anglican cathedral - what a thrill!
It is so sad to experience the pitiful state of music and liturgy in local Catholic churches and it is tragic that both the choirs I directed for so many happy years have disbanded because of the actions of one priest.
:lol: Perhaps saddest of all is that someone trained in the liturgy has to go outside the Catholic church to find a suitable paid post.
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

Perhaps saddest of all is that someone trained in the liturgy has to go outside the Catholic church to find a suitable paid post

Amen to that.

Will you have to endure Evensong in your new post Organist?
organist

Post by organist »

My wife and I enjoy evensong - could it be that in heaven they use Anglican chant?
musicus

Post by musicus »

I'm glad you've found a worthy outlet for your talents, Organist, and I wish you well in your new post. It's a sad loss to the Catholic community, though.

Musicus
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

organist wrote:My wife and I enjoy evensong - could it be that in heaven they use Anglican chant?

Anglican chant is fine on its own, it's only when you add words to it that it becomes a problem. :lol:

Have you read a little book called Organo Pleno by a chap named Reynolds? It's about playing the organ in the anglican church but many of his observations equally apply to th R.C's.
organist

Post by organist »

Yes I have read Gordon Reynolds' book and I must seek it out again! I am sure I will enjoy the challenge of playing and conducting settings which I have often sung as a singer. One thing I am missing already is responsorial psalm settings. At the masses in other parishes we have attended so far the psalm is generally not sung even at a "sung Mass". Psalms should be sung not spoken and alleluias should be omitted if they are not sung!