Organ in Lent

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

asb

Organ in Lent

Post by asb »

The rubrics state that with the exception of the 4th Sunday, and Feasts, the organ and other instruments are played "only to sustain the singing"

When "in-post" I always observed this, but I see from various (Catholic) parish/cathedral websites that organ voluntaries are still listed for other Sundays of Lent.

Why do some people think the rubric can ignored? on the other hand, if it CAN be ignored, why do some obey it!?
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Re: Organ in Lent

Post by docmattc »

I obey this rubric because it makes very good sense. Normally I'm playing for 20 minutes or so before Mass begins but in Lent the congregation come in to no music and I don't fill in any gaps with music either. I keep the organ restrained, avoiding the 4' and 2' octaves, trumpets etc. We extend the rubric to the bells too (we have an 8 note carillon) which don't peal, or play hymntunes in Lent. Only the consecration bell is rung.

Hopefully this, along with other factors, helps to give the season a distinctive feeling so that people can tell that the Sundays of Lent are different to any other Sunday. It also serves to give Easter a contrasting feel to Lent- the return of organ music and the bells at Easter makes them so much more joyful and noticeable than otherwise.

Maybe there are sound pastoral reasons to ignore the rubric, but I can't think of any.
dunstan

Post by dunstan »

Similarly, I drop the incidental music. We sing the Mass parts in Latin. I do use the 4' and 2', but abstain from the mixtures.
It's not a generation gap, it's a taste gap.
JW

Post by JW »

An interesting one this. Churches who wouldn't dream of using "alleluia" or saying the Gloria, or having flowers during Lent just don't seem to be aware that this rubric is there. In the past, I have used the organ quite freely - to avoid CDs being played instead. This year I thought I'd try to encourage the observance of the rubric and only use foundation 8 and 4 foot stops (and fasted from voluntaries and from my annoying habit of putting twiddly bits and the end of hymn lines and filling in any convenient gap with improvisation). However, as regards incidental music before Mass - here's what happened:

Sunday before Ash Wednesday: I told the PP that there was going to be loads of organ today because it was the last Sunday before Lent.

1st Sunday of Lent: 20 minutes before Mass, I tell the Deacon and Deacon's wife (who are in charge of Liturgy in the parish) that I won't be playing before Mass as the organ is only supposed to be used to support the singing in Lent. 15 minutes before Mass, the PP comes out of the confessional and puts on the CD (Franck organ works). I wave at him and he says "I didn't think you were here - do play" I tell him that I'm not playing because the organ is only supposed to be used to support the singing in Lent. He says "I think that's a bit subtle for us," so Franck goes on.

2nd Sunday of Lent: No organ before Mass, no CD's - has the message got through?

3rd Sunday of Lent: Visiting priest, Deacon has the music on when I arrive half an our before the Mass. During a conversation about whether there should be a Penitential Rite after a baby-welcoming (there wasn't) I slipped in that I wasn't playing the organ because the organ is only supposed to be used to support the singing in Lent.

4th Sunday of Lent: I will be playing as this is what the rubric says.

I wonder if all the statues will be covered on Passion Sunday but Franck will still go on?

Where did I go wrong? I could have attended a Liturgy Meeting the Friday before Lent but I had been booked to baby sit by my daughter and family has priority over Liturgy Meetings (I don't get paid for playing the organ except for Weddings etc. and I contribute to the collection - so I reckon I attend what I want to and am owed weekends off if there is something else I want to do).
JW
Benevenio

Post by Benevenio »

Are Sundays part of Lent?
Benevenio.
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

Now there's a question!! I think for liturgical purposes, the "Sundays of Lent" have to be considered to be part of Lent, otherwise we'd go back to green vestments and Alleluias.
Whether they count in terms of Lenten penances etc is another matter. When I was a student, some of those who had given up alcohol for Lent would have a pint after Sunday evening Mass on the grounds that Sundays weren't part of the 40 days.
Benevenio

Post by Benevenio »

The Liturgy Office Website reports (n23): "The first Sunday of Lent marks the beginning of the annual Lenten observance.". So, presumably, we can still have pancakes, chocolate and alcohol on the Thursday, Friday and Saturday between Ash Wednesday and that Sunday?

If the Sundays are treated as Feasts and therefore not part of Lent (and you work out where 40 days before Easter is, to see where Lent ought to start, if Sundays are part of it), then play as much as you like. :twisted:

On the other hand, your Lenten Penance could be to take up the guitar. Then you'd not be playing an organ voluntary anyway... :lol:
Benevenio.
organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

Post by organist »

Couldn't you just highjack the CD and player for Lent? Pity about not attending the liturgy committee meeting - can't it be at a time to suit you?
JW

Post by JW »

1) Benevenio, whilst accepting that Sundays are not part of the 40 days, nevertheless the organ should only be used to support singing. As has already been said, we omit the Gloria, Alleluia, have purple and no flowers on Sundays in Lent as well as weekdays. I took a raincheck on your suggestion to play guitar in Lent - I studied guitar for 2 years and I'm a lousy guitarist - Could just about do 3 chords at my peak. :(

2) Organist, I lent the church the CDs in the first place - perhaps I should take them back. There was no music before Mass last Sunday. We do bring the Holy Oils into the church before the Last Supper Mass on Maundy Thursday with an organ fanfare, so I'm not perfect in this myself. :)

3) The last sentence of the Readers Notes in the Preparing the Liturgy Section for Palm Sunday says "will there be music or silence?" What does this refer to? :?

4) It really is time I signed up to the SSG. 8)
JW
organist

Post by organist »

I think the Triduum is different so on the principle that we sing Gloria on Maundy Thursday I would keep your organ fanfare for the oils and play before the service - in my case Bairstow Toccata-Prelude on "Pange lingua". I would then reserve the organ voluntaries for after the Gloria at the Vigil and really go to town. At the end of Vigil I played Howells Saraband for the morning of Easter. Easter Day Mass ends with Hallelujah chorus.
Actually I think it a great shame :cry: that Catholics do not get to hear all those wonderful Lenten preludes by Bach especially "O mensch bewein" and "Erbarm dich" but they can be played on the 4th Sunday.
Join the SSG - it's well worth it and come to summer school at Worth! :)
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

JW wrote:3) The last sentence of the Readers Notes in the Preparing the Liturgy Section for Palm Sunday says "will there be music or silence?" What does this refer to?

I would guess it refers to the frequently-encountered practice of all leaving the end of the Palm Sunday liturgy in silence, not with a final hymn. Helps to convey that we've started our journey through Holy Week, and the story does not end here.
organist

Post by organist »

Yes it's quite good leaving in silence but there might be a place for something suitable like "Tears of grief" from Bach's St Matthew Passion which we heard this evening. I'd forgotten how long it is!
contrabordun

Post by contrabordun »

JW wrote:3) The last sentence of the Readers Notes in the Preparing the Liturgy Section for Palm Sunday says "will there be music or silence?" What does this refer to?

Dunno, but the author was clearly a born optimist.
Paul Hodgetts
organist

Post by organist »

Ha ha! :D
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

I've just looked at the online page, and now see that it refers to the reading of the Passion itself. It's presumably reminding you (a) that some people have musical interludes - e.g. a verse of the Passion Chorale - punctuating the reading of the Passion, while some don't and just read straight through, and (b) that after Jesus dies on the cross, where there might be another interlude, there is a choice to be made between having such an interlude or just an extended silence for reflection.

Anyway, it's too late now, unless you are contemplating doing something like this on Good Friday.