Processions

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

Processions

Post by organist »

My ecumenical heart has been greatly warmed this week by agreement after years of trying for a combined procession through the streets with our local Anglican congregation on Palm Sunday. Now we only have 3 masses on Sunday morning and the children's passion presentation could not be mounted this year, the new parish priest readily agreed to the idea. Junior choir and music group had a great time playing and singing with lots of percussion borrowed from our school and me banging the big drum. The Walker Palm procession really worked well even when we became strung out crossing roads.
And on Good Friday we are all being encouraged to go to the big ecumenical procession in the centre of the town and really make a witness!
Last year someone said to me that the crucifixion scene and carrying of the actor playing the dead Christ was shocking - so it is and so it should be! We so badly need to get the message out to people.
SOP
Parish / Diocese: Salford

Post by SOP »

I miss the processions and in some ways feel that the Church is missing an opportunity of keeping children interested and involved. Much has been said on other threads about children who make their First Communion not being seen in the church again. When I was a child, long, long ago, I got quite a bit of wear out of my communion outfit as for each procession that year I was in the First Communion section.

These days as well as the First Communicants there would also be the family (with video cameras of course) and who knows, one or two of them might call in again sometime.

Who knows?
Dory

Processions

Post by Dory »

Memories! I remember those processions too but, shame to say, more for their monetary value, rather than spiritual content. As we processed around the streets in all our finery, admiring onlookers - usually family or neighbours - pressed money into our hands. Part of my outfit was a white drawstring purse (a reticule for those in the know) dangling from my wrist, which was rather full by the time we got back to church. We were a mercenary lot, totting up who got the most when we got back! I was only 6 at the time ... !

D.
SOP
Parish / Diocese: Salford

Post by SOP »

I remember more processions inside the church than out. We had a couple of big walks outside but they were just bigger versions of what we had inside throughout the year. I grew up in a parish with a big church but even so I don't believe we were the only ones who had processions inside. A big difference inside/out was the music - inside it was the organ, outside it was pipe bands. *Shudder* memories of Faith of our Fathers played over and over on bagipes - stayed in your head for weeks!

I noticed at the last Easter Vigil then when we were supposed to be processing into church it did not quite work as a procession. 'Knowing what to do' and 'where to go' have got lost.
organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

Post by organist »

At Westminster cathedral this year there is no procession of the people -too many there. The fire is lit at the back of the nave and the clergy and chori process down the centre aisle. The music was absolutely stunning and the Cardinal superb!