Choir wanted: Guild of St Stephen, Southwark, Annual Rally

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

JW

Choir wanted: Guild of St Stephen, Southwark, Annual Rally

Post by JW »

The Guild of St Stephen in Southwark is looking for a choir and musician(s) to lead the music for the Mass at their Annual Rally at Aylesford Priory on Bank Holiday 5th May 2008. I understand that hymns are given to you, but the Mass parts etc. are at the choir's discretion.

Aylesford is a good place for a day out and, if you have enough youngsters in your choir, I'm sure you could make it a condition of your paraticipation that you are given a guest entry into their football competition!!

If you are interested and want more details, please contact Tony Roberts, their Secretary, on 01634 361549.
JW
asb

Re: Choir wanted: Guild of St Stephen, Southwark, Annual Rally

Post by asb »

I sincerely hope that they have found a choir.

I did, however, hear of someone who offerred their choir's services, as long as their professional organist could receive their usual special service fee, but was told categorically "no".

I would be interested in peoples' views on a) a fee being requested and b) none being offered... :|

(NB - post edited. I apologize for having worded it misleadingly initially. It looked as though the choir wanted payment, which was not the case.)
Last edited by asb on Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
contrabordun

Post by contrabordun »

It's a free country! Seems perfectly fair to request a fee and perfectly fair to decline to pay one, if you think you can get what you want without. Just don't complain if you can't!
Paul Hodgetts
asb

Post by asb »

contrabordun wrote:It's a free country! Seems perfectly fair to request a fee and perfectly fair to decline to pay one, if you think you can get what you want without. Just don't complain if you can't!

I quite agree - especially the latter point!
JW

Post by JW »

I understand that the children's choir of Christ Church Eltham will be there. The whole question about payment is a thorny issue, isn't it? Bach, and presumably his choirs were paid. Churches often pay organists. On the other hand, many give their services voluntarily - it is down to people's personal circumstances and choice. We need to understand and respect the issues for and against.
JW
musicus

Post by musicus »

JW wrote:Bach, and presumably his choirs were paid.

Yes, they were - as were his instrumentalists (e.g. violins, flutes, oboes, etc, etc).
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
lesley wright

Post by lesley wright »

'Sacred Music' on BBC4 recently suggested that Bach was actually paid a pittance and regularly struggled to scrape up enough money to pay the musicians he would have liked to employ. We do sell ourselves cheap, I suppose, though for many of us the opportunity to lead a congregation in its liturgy is its own (ample) reward. Ought we to encourage our young people to think that everything can be bought?
Lesley
alan29

Post by alan29 »

I think that a stipend can have a two way benefit
for the musician "a labourer is worthy of their hire." etc
for the parish a contract can be a way of "persuading" people that perhaps their playing is more of a hindrance than a help.
Just because financial reward is involved that doesn't have to mean that a sense of service/vocation is negated. they are not mutually exclusive.
Alan
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

We should distinguish here between asking for/expecting/giving a fee for what one does in one's own parish, and doing the same for another organisation which is seeking skilled practitioners to provide a service. The issues aren't necessarily the same for both cases.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Aren't we going off the topic of the Guild of St Stephen? Recent postings seem more relevant to http://www.ssg.org.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=577.
asb

Post by asb »

Peter wrote:Aren't we going off the topic of the Guild of St Stephen? Recent postings seem more relevant to http://www.ssg.org.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=577.

Latterly, maybe, but my original reply to this topic was drawing attention to the fact that this organization was expecting something for nothing! :twisted:
asb

Post by asb »

Could I ask people to re-read my original posting please? I have edited it, as it has been drawn to my attention that my wording was (unintentionally) misleading. I apologize for that.