O Holy Night (Adam)

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

asb

O Holy Night (Adam)

Post by asb »

I was asked by a member of the congregation if we could sing "Oh Holy Night" as a congregational carol. I declined, on the basis of my view that it is not a congregational carol, being of somewhat operatic turn, and not that easy. I have had some unpleasentness as a result of this, the said lady saying that she has heard the French version ("Menuit Chrètiens") sung congregationally in France, as well as the English version on on Songs of Praise. I believe it recently topped a Classic FM poll....

Views please?
alan29

Re: O Holy Night (Adam)

Post by alan29 »

Used to get this request from a couple of the wobblier sops in the choir. Banned on grounds of taste.
Alan
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

It was sung last Christmas Midnight Mass on telly... might have been Liverpool or somewhere like that.... during communion by the choir. I made me feel quite depressed.

It used to be "requested" by an anonymous person every year and so was sung (not the right word ) as a solo for Communion during the Midnight Mass. I used to give in to this kind of subtle manipulation.

It is now in Room 101.
uh oh!
JW

Post by JW »

Can you imagine a congregation reaching for that top note - Deviiiiiiiiiiiiiine?
JW
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Up here in Scouserland it would be Divieeeeeeeeeeen
Alan
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Post by VML »

Strange how some of us have aversions to certain music, words, carols, hymns instruments, many of which are justified on grounds of taste.
I took up Nick Baty's offer of part sharing, and used his file to play an instrumental version of 'O Holy Night' while people were coming in to pre-Midnight carols. We sang it a few years ago, since when it has become better known because of TV, but just because G4 sang it, it does not mean it is operatic. OK, congregations won't sing that last top note,- so? The range, otherwise, is no greater than 'Go tell everyone,' or 'Dear Lord and Father.'
OHN is a bit slushy, but so are very many of the items we are required to sing.
Another arbiter of taste on this board dismisses carols played on guitars. The story goes that 'Silent Night' was composed for guitar, and not all guitars are scrubbed or electric, and it does not have to be either /or organ or instruments. There is a place for an open mind, and the sympathetic combination of instruments.
I think we have also established that the likes and dislikes of the organist are not necessarily the last word.
Six weeks ago I had what might be called an interesting discussion with a normally encouraging member of our congregation who said we sang too many different hymns and could we not just stick to a base of just 20 or so as her son's school does. She objected to the archaic language in 'Meekness and Majesty' - who on earth sings this bow down and worship stuff...? 'Why do we not do 'I vow to thee my country' more often? - After all no-one can object to Elgar.'.....I resisted telling her that Holst was born down the road from her son's school, and I am sorry he does not find our parish Mass relevant.
Having just had Christ the King, I had to warn her that we would be singing Advent hymns for a few weeks. But it is all a matter of taste.
JW

Post by JW »

I remember trying to accompany this at the age of 13 or so on a Reed Organ at a school music lesson in the early 60's. Imagine a group of about 20 13/14 year old boys giving O Holy Night some welly - (or was it Roses of Picardy?) Someone asked me later what all the screaming was about. I know its a very worthy piece and in fact I accompanied a good soloist at Midnight Mass this year. I doubt it will ever be one of my favourites though - not on grounds of taste but because of the personal associations it has for me!

Musical taste is so subjective. One thing I learnt doing my degree was that there is so much to learn and enjoy if only we can keep open-minded.
JW
lesley wright

Post by lesley wright »

Yes, VML, I complained about carols played on guitars. I didn't have Silent Night in mind, which we usually do give to the guitarist - the 'Folk Group' at our 2nd Mass of Christmas play O Come all ye Faithful and O Little Town of Bethlehem on guitars and I really think it's a horrible experience. Blame the person who included all those guitar chords in HON!
L
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Guitars - it all depends on how good they are. We all know people who "strum" the piano or organ. That can be pretty hair-raising, too.
Alan