Good Friday

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Benevenio

Post by Benevenio »

docmattc wrote:If everyone understands the Reproaches to mean all of us…

Taken as part of the Triduum, not merely part of Good Friday - we hear our salvation history in the Easter Vigil readings, for example, even though it is Old Testament and therefore the history of the Jewish nation - this is addressed to us, not the Jews. As with most things taken out of context, it is easy for it to be misunderstood, or even twisted to mean something totally different.

I suspect, too, that the understanding by many people of the veneration of the cross is limited, and that it is seen as venerating Jesus, kissing his feet. So much for "This is the wood of the cross on which hung the saviour of the world"… Perhaps they don't actually listen, and so the words of the what is sung to accompany the veneration do not matter, so long as it's a nice tune! :twisted:
Benevenio.
mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Post by mcb »

Nick Baty wrote:Unless, of course, you're using a crucifix which I'm sure you're not.

Most parishes I've ever attended have venerated a crucifix, including kissing the feet of the statue of the crucified Christ. I've mildly pointed out a few times that this isn't how it's meant to be, but you can only get away with that a few times before you start to sound obsessive. :-)

One parish I've lived and worshipped in did it better: S. Etienne in Lille (where I had my 'year abroad'), which has a bona fide piece of the true cross. Well, as bona as you can get with these things. I did have the temerity to question the PP as to the authenticity of the relic, but he at least was confident that its provenance went back all the way to Empress Helena.

Why is it that people are more at ease venerating a statue of our Lord, rather than an icon of the cross (authentic or otherwise)? The customary action in most parishes jars with the words in the Missal.

M.
mcb

Cross vs Crucifix

Post by mcb »

Here are three web pages each offering an opinion on whether the Veneration of the Cross in the Good Friday Liturgy should involve a cross or a crucifix. They don't agree with each other! The majority view (and my hunch is that it's also the better informed) is that Catholic tradition prefers a crucifix, except where a relic of the true cross is being venerated.

It comes as a surprise, given than the Missal text invites us to worship the wood of the cross rather than an image of Christ crucified; but the explanation is presumably in the historical origin of the rite, which is in the veneration of the true cross. Once the rite had developed to involve not a relic but an image, there was no reason not to include our Lord's body in the representation.

I'm not sure I've seen any source that specifies the form that the veneration should take, i.e. whether it's prescribed that the faithful should kiss the cross itself or the corpus. So perhaps all those parishes I've been in have been getting it right after all.

M.
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

In "Ceremonies of the Liturgical Year" Mgr (now Bp?) Peter Elliot says:

"The cross for veneration is....usually a large and noble crucifix, so that the faithful may conveniently kiss the feet of the corpus"

there now follows a long discussion about the meaning of the word "usually" :D
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

mcb wrote:the Missal text invites us to worship the wood of the cross

Does it though? Should it not be the case that our response to seeing the cross, "on which hung the Saviour of the world", is to worship Christ? By Christ I don't mean the corpus on the cross in front of us (if there should be one)!
I admit this isn't immediately obvious from the text or the actions, but we venerate the cross, we can only worship God.
mcb

Post by mcb »

docmattc wrote:we venerate the cross, we can only worship God.

Yes, that sounds right to me, now you say it. The Latin is venite adoremus, and adoring is reserved for God alone too.
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Re: Cross vs Crucifix

Post by presbyter »

mcb wrote:The majority view (and my hunch is that it's also the better informed) is that Catholic tradition prefers a crucifix, except where a relic of the true cross is being venerated.

So if one's parish happens to possess a tiny sliver of a relic of the true cross, should that be used instead of a large cross (with or without corpus)?
Off the top of my head, I don't think the SCDWDS document on celebrating Holy Week has thought of that possibility. I'll go and look it up.
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

There's the document (SCDWDS 1988)

68. For veneration of the cross, let a cross be used that is of appropriate size and beauty, and let one or other of the forms for this rite be carried out with the splendor worthy of the mystery of our salvation. Both the invitation pronounced at the unveiling of the cross and the people's response should be made in song, and a period of respectful silence is to be observed after each act of veneration, with the celebrant standing and holding the raised cross.

69. The cross is to be presented to each of the faithful individually for their adoration, since the personal adoration of the cross is a most important feature in this celebration. Only when necessitated by the large numbers of faithful present should the rite of veneration be made simultaneously by all present. [72]

Only one cross should be used for the veneration, as this contributes to the full symbolism of the rite. During the veneration of the cross, the antiphons, "Reproaches," and hymns should be sung so that the history of salvation be commemorated through song. [73] Other appropriate songs may also be sung (cf n. 42).
contrabordun

Re: Cross vs Crucifix

Post by contrabordun »

presbyter wrote: a tiny sliver of a relic of the true cross, should that be used instead of a large cross

Just out of interest, what are the chances that any of them are anything of the sort?
alan29

Post by alan29 »

I have to say, in 50 years of Good Friday liturgies all over the place, I have never seen a cross used. I wonder if the difference in tradition could be down to a simple bit of translation. Does crucis mean a cross, a crucifix or both? My O level Latin has been nailed to its perch, I'm afraid. But I am sure that one of the Medieval Rite fans will be able to help from their wealth of detailed knowledge of the meaning of the text. (Sorry, just couldn't stop myself.)

Alan
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Found an answer to my own question on a site called catholic Doors (or some such.)

Frequently Asked Questions
regarding
GOOD FRIDAY VENERATION OF
THE CRUCIFIX

Q. 1. What is the Catholic Church teaching regarding Good Friday veneration of the cross/crucifix? Should we venerate a cross or a crucifix?

A. 1. In accordance with tradition, unless the local Church possesses a relic of the true cross of Christ, such being rare, a crucifix must be used during the Good Friday veneration. This clearly echoes that we do not worship a mere cross, but the Person who died on the Holy Cross.

Q. 2. Then why is it that some Churches use a mere cross while others use a crucifix (cross with the "corpus" [body of Christ])?

A. 2. Part of this problem originates from the fact that the Latin word for cross and crucifix are identical. At the same time, during the past centuries, whenever a Vatican document made reference to the "cross," it literally meant a "crucifix."

Considering the fact that the Latin language is no longer mandatory in the studies for the priesthood, nowadays, many priests cannot translate the Latin language, over and above having a lack of knowledge of the Church history and tradition. Combining these two factors, when the word "cross" is used in Latin, they assume it means "cross." Those who can read Latin and know Church history and tradition, they know that the usage of the word "cross" literally means "crucifix" unless specified otherwise.

Q. 3. Does that mean that the usage of a "cross" versus a "crucifix" is contrary to the Catholic Church teachings and requirement?

A. 3. Yes, it is! This new and non-approved practice reinforced the recent attempts by many to introduce figureless crosses into churches. Because of this trend, in the United States, the new General Instruction of the Roman Missal (GIRM) does at times stipulate that the cross used at Holy Mass must have the figure of Christ. This notation has become necessary because of the abuses by those who have been removing the figure of Christ from the Holy Cross.

On Good Friday, Catholics must venerate a crucifix unless their local Church possesses a relic of the true cross of Christ. Then, and only then, may the faithful venerate a cross.
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

alan29 wrote:Q. 1. What is the Catholic Church teaching regarding Good Friday veneration of the cross/crucifix? Should we venerate a cross or a crucifix?

A. 1. In accordance with tradition, unless the local Church possesses a relic of the true cross of Christ, such being rare, a crucifix must be used during the Good Friday veneration. This clearly echoes that we do not worship a mere cross, but the Person who died on the Holy Cross.

On Good Friday, Catholics must venerate a crucifix unless their local Church possesses a relic of the true cross of Christ. Then, and only then, may the faithful venerate a cross.

And which liturgy document is this in please?
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

alan29 wrote:......... over and above having a lack of knowledge of the Church history and tradition. Combining these two factors, when the word "cross" is used in Latin, they assume it means "cross." Those who can read Latin and know Church history and tradition, they know that the usage of the word "cross" literally means "crucifix" unless specified otherwise.

Round objects! (as in "Who is Round and to what does he object?")

I think the English pre-reformation tradition was a plain cross in church. I am too comfortable in an arm chair at the moment to be bothered to go downstairs and find a source for my thought .... but I might if pushed.
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

mcb wrote:
docmattc wrote:we venerate the cross, we can only worship God.

Yes, that sounds right to me, now you say it. The Latin is venite adoremus, and adoring is reserved for God alone too.

Hang on a mo......

Forget the present ICEL and read the Missal.

Crucem tuam adoramus, Domine,
et sanctam resurrectionem tuam laudamus et glorificamus:
ecce enim propter lignum
venit gaudium in universo mundo....
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

presbyter wrote:68. For veneration of the cross, let a cross be used that is of appropriate size and beauty

I wonder what the SCDWDS mean by "beauty". I don't want to turn Good Friday into a Mel Gibson epic of bloody slaughter but "beautiful" is hardly an adjective I would use of crucifixion. Perhaps we should ask the Sacred Congregation for clarification.