Spiteful drivel

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Copernicus

Spiteful drivel

Post by Copernicus »

This looks nasty.
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Why is that so many of these self proclaimed traditionalists fail so miserably to sound Christian when they try so hard to sound "Catholic?"
Can anyone point us in the direction of a Trad blog/site that doesn't come across as *beep* and devoid of love?
That apart, the man has launched a dreadful attack on a fellow catholic in a public forum. All it does is to bring the church into disrepute. Shame on him!!!
Alan
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

I'm just wondering if the Telegraph has a libel lawyer moderating the discussion.
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

That's the first blog I've ever read which has made me cry – with anger and frustration, I suspect. Why are these people so spiteful?
mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Post by mcb »

presbyter wrote:I'm just wondering if the Telegraph has a libel lawyer moderating the discussion.

I wondered the same thing; also whether the editorial board of the Catholic Herald know what their editor in chief gets up to in his spare time. Funny thing is, somewhere else on the Telegraph site there's a comment on a column of his, accusing him of importing arguments from the US wholesale, without bothering as to whether there's any truth in it for the UK. More of the same here, by the look of it. Brings the Church into disrepute, if you ask me.

M.
musicus

Post by musicus »

Thompson's blog entry and the majority of the comments on it are truly appalling, the worst I've seen. No-one deserves to be treated like this in public, whatever your opinion of them. I'm certainly no lawyer, but isn't this kind of thing actionable?

Is this blog owned by the Daily Telegraph? Is Thompson dispensing similar vitriol in the Catholic Herald?

Interestingly, Thompson, the Catholic Herald's 'editor-in-chief', does not appear on the Catholic Herald's contact page - though that may be out of date. You can contact the Directors via the same page.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
mcb

Post by mcb »

musicus wrote:Interestingly, Thompson, the Catholic Herald's 'editor-in-chief', does not appear on the Catholic Herald's contact page

He's there among the Directors.

M.
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

It seems that Paul wrote an article on Summorum Pontificum for publication in the Portsmouth Diocesan Magazine. He made a few observations that some might see as erroneous. This is what seems to have drawn the flack.

The Telegraph chap's comments are at best rather unkind and uncalled for. I suspect that the issue isn't really about Paul's musical ability.

We'll have 'Center of my Life' and the 'Gathering Mass Sanctus' this morning I think :wink:
Reginald

Post by Reginald »

Given that the storm may well have brewed on this site, Mr. Thompson would be well advised to review Fr. Z's 5 rules of engagement http://wdtprs.com/blog/fr-zs-5-rules-of-engagement-for-after-the-motu-proprio-is-released/ - you can also find the original article and the fisk thereof. The fisk at least is not rude, though it is cutting!

It seems that Summorum Pontificum may bring out the worst in people on both sides of the liturgical divide - the reference to nutty traditionalists in the most recent Music and Liturgy doesn't cover us with glory either...

Was playing for the opposition today, so couldn't include any Inwood amongst the hymns - but made a point of using various Inwood as the pre-service waffle and the Sanctus from the Coventry Acclamations provided the theme for the voluntary. Nobody deserves that kind of lynching, and especially not one of our own.
oopsorganist

thread

Post by oopsorganist »

Sad, really sad.

someone asks for a better blog..... google Creative Minority Report ( there's an item on church music...)
uh oh!
mcb

Re: thread

Post by mcb »

oopsorganist wrote:Sad, really sad.

someone asks for a better blog..... google Creative Minority Report ( there's an item on church music...)

Not sure that that one really counts as better. The church music item takes a thoughtful article from the New York Times, and makes some fairly unthinking comments on it, with an obligatory dig at Marty Haugen and whipping-boy-of-the-month Paul Inwood thrown in.

Catholic bloggers who follow other than a rigorously conservative line seem quite hard to find. Here are a couple of Catholic blogs that I like:

On things liturgical - Catholic Sensibility
On church news – Whispers in the Loggia

And Libby Purves occasionally has interesting things at Faith Central. Not strictly a Catholic blog, as it covers 'world religions' more generally, but of interest none the less.

Any more suggestions?

M.
SOP
Parish / Diocese: Salford

Post by SOP »

I could hardly believe what I was reading. So sad.

Are we supposed to now act as if the last 40+ years never happened?
quaeritor

Post by quaeritor »

been "off watch" for a while so a bit of a latecomer to this - have just followed the original link. They play in a different league over there, don't they!

Among all the sound and fury I picked out one interesting little point: does anyone know if the text of the new missal has indeed been made available in advance to a favoured few? A huge stimulus to conspiracy theorists if it has. (Maybe that's why everyone was so cross when the Tablet leaked it?)

Come to think of it, why can't anyone who wants it be allowed to have sight of it, in order to start considering settings or revisions of existing settings? (I have in a sealed envelope the reply that I know I'm going to get!)

Just asking! :?
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

Damien Thompson seems determined to keep going on this one.
He's had a go at my comments above which has encouraged bloggers to offer to send my Kleenex etc. He's also having a go at Baptised With Fire. Not sure what he's done that's so much better but he certainly has the bit between his teeth. http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/ukcorrespondents/holysmoke/october2007/ohno.htm?cmd=thanks#comments
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Vile stuff. Why is it so personalised? Having a discussion is one thing, but that stuff is totally revolting. I take heart that while they bang on about "Catholicism" and styles of performance, they hardly ever mention Christianity or prayer or worship.
Alan