Rough Guide for new musical directors

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

musicus

Rough Guide for new musical directors

Post by musicus »

I have started a new topic with sidvicius' question from another thread:

sidvicius wrote:In some places, musical directors are paid, and have lines of choristers young and old, to assist in their work. In ordinary churches, MusDir is usually voluntary, and the incumbent is usually keen but frequently ill-equipped for the job.

So my question is: are there any simple, 'starter' guides for people undertaking this ministry as to how to do it properly?

There are millions of questions people in music circles ask continuously. We should have a small book (in the vein of Marian Tolley's guide for Readers for example), which takes all the details from General Instructions etc and then applies them to our humble, and often woefully inadequate, parish circumstances.

If there is a guide published, fantastic - but I've not seen anyone using one. Ideas, anybody?

Musicus
Dot

Post by Dot »

Once upon a time there was an SSG Summer School workshop (more of a discussion group) on this topic. I wonder if anyone has a précis of its findings. Although I attended the workshop, I made no notes myself as I had no interest in being a musical director; but I am very sensitive to what a difference a good leader can make.

One thing I do remember from the workshop is how the comments of certain contributors highlighted the trouble they took to include the needs of the assembly in the process of teaching and leading.

Dot
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

Anyone got a copy of Paolo Iotti's (trans Pat Lee) Forming a Liturgical Choir?
sidvicius

Guide for Musical Directors

Post by sidvicius »

Thanks, Presbyter. I will see if I can obtain a copy and let SSG know what it is like.
Not easy to find on the internet, so use this HYPERLINK to get a smidgen of information about this book.
sidvicius

PDF Format Internet Guide Available

Post by sidvicius »

In the meantime, I have discovered a *Free* guide compiled by these very generous people. This site is well worth a visit.
Last edited by sidvicius on Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Post by mcb »

Two books I've found helpful are:

The Volunteer Choir
by Frank Brownstead, and Pat McCollam (Pastoral Press, 1987) ISBN: 0912405376

How to Be a Successful Choir Director
by John Bertalot (Kevin Mayhew, 2002) ISBN: 1840038659

Both, obviously, are aimed at church choir directors rather than more generally at parish music directors, but there's a lot of wisdom in both books that can be helpful to any church musician. Two other good books on my shelf are:

Teaching Kids the Basics of Liturgy: Making the Rituals More Meaningful by Robert D. Duggan (Thomas More Publishing, 2000) ISBN: 0883474093

which is a very good book not just for kids, and one called something like The role of the cantor, which I'll have to look at before I can give you the details, because I can't find it on the web (which probably means I've got the title wrong).

M.
mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Post by mcb »

I wrote:and one called something like The role of the cantor, which I'll have to look at before I can give you the details, because I can't find it on the web (which probably means I've got the title wrong).

Yep, it's actually:

The Church Musician by Paul Westermeyer (Minneapolis, Augsburg-Fortress Press, 1997) ISBN: 0806633999

(In the book he uses the term cantor for any kind church musician, hence my confusion.) A book with a very good grounding in practical wisdom, especially when it comes to coping with fellow human beings.

M.
sidvicius

Good Books

Post by sidvicius »

Thank you for all those (is it really necessary to quote yourself from the preceding post?). Perhaps SSG could provide a 'recommended/useful reading' page on its website?
Dot

Post by Dot »

Another suggestion:

"The Church Musician's Handbook" (St Matthias Press, 1994, ISBN 1 873166 05 2) is a collection of papers described as "a practical guide to music and its role within the Church". It includes items on musical directors and checklists for music leaders.

Are you already a music director, or an aspiring one, Sid? Apologies if you've already told us elsewhere on the Forum.

dot
sidvicius

"Music Director" is a bit grandiose...

Post by sidvicius »

...but I have led church music. Apology accepted.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

May I ask a related question what do people consider to be the job of the 'keen but ill-equipped person'.

In one parish I was in the role was as much part of the parish team as being responsible for parish music.

I'm asking in part what is the pastoral role of the musical directors in the life of a community - of the books mentioned the ones I know do not address this - but it would be interesting to hear what people understand the role to be?

Gabriel
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

The syllabus Martin Foster has kindly pointed us to http://www.catholic-ew.org.uk/liturgy/Music/Summary.html puts the pastoral side of things into perspective I think.

The purpose of the Liturgy is pastoral (Sacrosanctum Concilium 10). The function of a presbyter is pastoral - and so too that of the musicians.

I don't know a single volume that spells all this out yet either. A task for someone there then! 8)