Communion procession!?!

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Communion procession!?!

Post by Nick Baty »

Removed

[The original poster has removed his post - Musicus, moderator]
Last edited by Nick Baty on Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

Presumably the invitation is extended during the baptism preparation course? Perhaps this is the time to gently set down the ground rules of what is acceptable behaviour during the Mass.

If people are turning up with no intention of even the slightest participation in the celebration then there's nothing to be gained by anyone in them being there.
sidvicius

Post by sidvicius »

I second that - this sounds like that business of getting the sprog into the good (Catholic) school. It's a complete con and should be chopped into little bits and stamped on mercilessly. I'm amazed that anywhere allows it.

Just my opinion folks.

I'd sooner the kid wasn't baptised. Then maybe they'll come to church later in life when they're ready.
Claire B

Post by Claire B »

My ten year old Fiona asked to be baptised this year so she could join the First Communion preparation class. The oldest child in the class was 14.

Fiona is very proud of being allowed to make the choice. Although she does ask why she wasn't baptised as a baby like the others.

I work for an ecumenical partnership whose baptism policy is to offer thanksgivings and dedication services instead of baptisms, or as a step to baptism when the child is older. It's quite hard to recruit a baptist minister who can agree to infant baptism.

I actually responded to the consultation on the new schools admission code, to say I didn't think baptism (of the child) should be part of the requirement for admission to a faith school....

The church school I'm clerk to governors for now have a 2008 Admissions policy that requires an applicant to be 'at the heart of their church', ie participate regularly in something approaching worship.
anne sheila
Parish / Diocese: Liverpool archdiocese

Post by anne sheila »

Nick, Perhaps little notes should be put on the pews ... with a big notice on the door as you go in

Please note, this is a Holy Place and we would ask you to respect the prayer environment for other people.

Please do not smoke, drink, or eat at any time
also please respect the meaning of the Mass for those present and kindly refrain from chatting until after the Mass.

Thank you for your understanding

Mind you, some of the regulars may be upset too ! You really need to stamp this out in the bud - I know a Church where lager is opened rather than coke! Not my regular Church but one in the same Archdiocese.
anne sheila