Change of Translation

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Ian

Change of Translation

Post by Ian »

The English translation of the Apostolic Exhortation Sacramentum Caritatis has been revised. The original translation, much discussed here and elsewhere, said in paragraph 62 that international liturgies 'could be' in Latin. The revision reads: 'it is fitting that such liturgies be celebrated in Latin'.

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/bened ... rticipatio
alan29

Post by alan29 »

"The faithful need to be reminded that there can be no actuosa participatio in the sacred mysteries without an accompanying effort to participate actively in the life of the Church as a whole, including a missionary commitment to bring Christ's love into the life of society." (55)

Does this say what I think it says? i.e. if we are not actively engaged in the Church's missionary effort, then we are in no position to participate in the liturgy? If that is the meaning, it rather puts discussions about plainsong and Latin into an interesting context.
Alan
mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Post by mcb »

alan29 wrote:Does this say what I think it says?

Surely there's no argument? It's at the core of our faith, that membership of Christ's body entails a responsibility to live out the Gospel in the world. 1 Corinthians 13:1 says it all.

Or did you mean by the Church's missionary effort 'going to foreign countries and converting people to Catholicism'? :-) I don't think that's what the Holy Father had in mind.

This year's SSG Summer School explores the themes of community and mission in the broader sense. Well worth checking it out.

Anyway, I think you're quite right, Alan. The call to mission puts liturgical controversies into perspective - there are even more important things central to Christian living!

M.
Ian

Post by Ian »

The logical operator is not XOR, but AND :-).

That is, the Exhortation has breadth and depth in its exploration of the significance, form and context of the Eucharistic liturgy. It covers the issues in an integrated way from all sorts of angles: spiritual, liturgical, theological, aesthetic, historical, cultural ... it's pretty comprehensive.

That's all the more reason to carefully examine all those elements that come within the Society's scope, and consider their implications for practice and training.
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

If you are of a similar mind to me and like a "proper" document to read - rather than a downloaded text from the internet - not only is the Vatican English edition available in a pamphlet but also the CTS have gone to print (with a glossy cover in their relatively new in-house style).